StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insurance is not due until February but I thought I would have a look around.
DL1000 good riding record no claims $1k deductable
My current provider Premmum $1,550.00
RBC $3,200.00 (what are they smoking)
Kingsway $1,541.00 (same as price I have now)
Rider Plus $808.00 (best I could find, but do they pay out on claims)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
My first year with my 650 was around $900. I hadn't had a bike for about 20 years but had my bike license since I turned 16 (I'm 50 now). The renewal with Rider's Plus was about $500 or so.

I have never had a claim on insurance so I can't comment on whether they pay out.

..Tom

My insurance is not due until February but I thought I would have a look around.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I pay $600 for basic + theft from Jevco, good driving record and no claims.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I pay just under $1,000 for my 1000 but I have a ton of coverage. Collision, fire, theft, major income replacement, long term disability, everything. (My wife says I'm enough of a burden now. If I get hurt on the bike, and I'm not covered, she'll be piling bricks in my lap and rolling my wheelchair down the Tiffin boat launch. :eek:) Good record, no claims. I'm at Meloche Monnex. They have discounts for PEO members.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I had my Honda insured with Primmum and it cost $550 dollars just for basic coverage. I switched to the Personnal and it dropped to $176. The Personnal provides full coverage on my 07 wee for $750.

From what I know, Primmum is not much of a deal, and Kingsway certainly isn't. Kingsway's money is made by insuring people who can't get insured anywhere else. If their rates are the same as Primmums, that says something about Primmum. If you have a bad record they may be ok, but if you're record is clean there are better deals to be had. My friend has his GSXR 1000 fully insured through State Farm for $700. He says State Farm doesn't classify bikes by sport, cruiser, etc. They simply go by cc's. It really pays to shop around.

SS

·
Registered
13 Posts
It’s hard to say what goes on in the minds of insurance companies. I shop around every year for my insurance – I always think there is a better deal to be had and I exhibit no loyalty to an insurer. This year I got the best deal from Primmum - $690 for full coverage ('07 650 Strom). This is my fifth year riding and I’ve had no claims. I had Primmum in the past and they gave me good rates initially but the rates always seem to creep up. We’ll see what they ask for next year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm through State Farm and pay around $1000 per year for pretty much every coverage that I could get on my Wee. (First year rider, first bike, 25, no claims) But State Farm only classifies by CCs as Silverstrom said. I could insure a GSXR 600 or other 600cc race replica for less money.

·
Registered
278 Posts
around 950 with meloche monnex. but at first they said they didn't cover motorcycles, then i asked to talk to someone about cancelling my house and car insurance then, magically, they do cover bikes. licence since 1977 but considered a new rider as i haven't owned a bike in about 5 years

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Covered by The Personal -full coverage - $574/yr but that's with all the other toys and properties in the mix as well (which I've had with them for years) As an aside, when I called State Farm 2 years ago -they didn't want to take a bike unless I had other policies as well. Other insurers were simply out to lunch on the Wee. $1000+, including all the bike-focussed ones. Clean record, no claims, licensed since 1975 - didn't seem to make a difference.
It is critical however that you ensure the Insurer understands the Vee or Wee is not a crotch rocket and that they quote you the rate for the correct model, otherwise, it will likely skyrocket in $. Second, if you have an alarm device - mention it, saved anbout $25 in my case when I bought it last year.

Safe riding
Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm through State Farm and pay around $1000 per year for pretty much every coverage that I could get on my Wee. (First year rider, first bike, 25, no claims) But State Farm only classifies by CCs as Silverstrom said. I could insure a GSXR 600 or other 600cc race replica for less money.
I'm right around $1000 for my 650. rates almost doubled when I move into toronto.

as for the cc thing with statefarm...its true. my rates actually went up when I traded my R6 in for my wee.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
...as for the cc thing with statefarm...its true. my rates actually went up when I traded my R6 in for my wee.
Primmum did the same thing with me. I sold my 750 Honda Cruiser and bought a Yamaha FZ6 and my rates went down. From 36 HP to around 86 HP and the rates drop....go figure.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like I've got my work cut out for me shopping for new insurance.
I'll have saved enough for the new tires I need.
The original reason I went to Primmum was that they saved me $200 on my sled insurance a few years back. Once they've got you they just keep creeping those rates up.
It pays to shop around.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Covered by The Personal -full coverage - $574/yr but that's with all the other toys and properties in the mix as well (which I've had with them for years).
I called The Personal just last week as I have always had my cars/home with them. I was told that both the V and the Wee were on their exclusion list. I might have to get in touch with you as I believe the person I was talking to was not that well informed...

Steve

·
Registered
481 Posts
You guys are pretty lucky in Ontario. For 3 month insurance in BC I paid $400 for my 07 1000 and have no mark against me for 20+ years. Don't let them fool you in Ontario into Goverment insurance like BC.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I called The Personal just last week as I have always had my cars/home with them. I was told that both the V and the Wee were on their exclusion list. I might have to get in touch with you as I believe the person I was talking to was not that well informed...

Steve
I was told the same thing by the Personal at first. Give them the VIN and tell them to check again. The people that answer the phones for the Personal really are clueless at times. I talked to 3 different people about insurance for my wee and was told many different things including "we don't cover it" and simply being given the wrong quotes. When I finally spoke to someone with a clue, she told me to always use the VIN to get accurate information.

SS

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
We have had Porsche Boxster's in Canada since 1997 (Specifically, Jan 15, 1997).

In April of 1999 a client of mine purchased a Boxster and was arranging insurance. They were told by the insurance company that there was no such car. The client had the agent phone me. The conversation went something like "Mr. Smith says he is purchasing a Porsche Boxster. There is no such vehicle, can you tell me what he is actually getting"'

I told them a Porsche Boxster. The insurance agent said "not possible.. there is no such car." The conversation went in a circle for about 5 minutes and the agent never did clue in about the car.

..Tom

I was told the same thing by the Personal at first. Give them the VIN and tell them to check again. The people that answer the phones for the Personal really are clueless at times. I talked to 3 different people about insurance for my wee and was told many different things including "we don't cover it" and simply being given the wrong quotes. When I finally spoke to someone with a clue, she told me to always use the VIN to get accurate information.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
That's pretty funny V-Tom.

Why is it that the people who take the most money from us are the ones with the least intellect? Maybe we can convince Mr. Harper's government to legislate intelligence. That way we could get rid of all the stupid people. Then again, if we did that who would run the country? Maybe the insurance agents could do it :rolleyes:

SS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts