StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I approve. I ride I-77 through Charlotte North Carolina more than I wish I had to, and always alone, whether on two wheels or on four. On the bike, I can take the HOV lane, which spans only part of the urban area, and I always feel safer in that lane than I do in the main scrum.

Inside Toronto, I similarly use lanes for bus/taxi/motorcycle, and again feel a tad safer than outside them.

I think this issue started in the 1980s when a fellow in Washington DC accumulated several pounds of tickets for using an HOV lane on his motorcycle. Eventually, he prevailed and now motorcyclists can use HOV lanes in the DC area. I cannot say whether this permission spans the USA.

Keith

·
Registered
208 Posts
Washington DC area motorcyclist have been enjoying this for the past few decades for the HOV and recently HOT lane.

Certainly helps in keeping the stress level down and helps keeping money in our pocket.

Its one of the main reason I use MC for commuting whole year around.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yep. Unfortunately my commute is usually by car, and only goes two exits past the beginning of the HOV lanes at the west end of the QEW (at the QEW/403 split), so it only gets me just past the first exit (Walker's Line) before I have to start making my way over to my exit at Appleby Line.

Took it this morning, though, and it probably saved me a minute or two. Should be even better for going home, although the end of the HOV lanes tends to back up since so many have to get out of it to get to the QEW - 3 lanes over. Usually waiting until the last moment to make their lane change. I think the HOV lanes should be marked that they have to get over before they reach Guelph line, and the QEW should have solid whites marked preventing lane changes to the right once past Guelph line. The QEW/403 split moved better before they brought in HOV lanes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts