StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Yeah, I use everything I take at least once on every trip. We have tables and chairs and a folding grill so we can cook steaks on a picnic table if we have to. Two cook pots and a coffee press.

Here's what it looks like when we set up. This is at the Aerostich Very Boring Rally in 2013. There are a few extra chairs under the fly because ae had a few visitors the night before.
Great setup!

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
"Camping to me is the 9th level of Hell."

You are typical of those that don't get off on dirt. It's OK and bless you for keeping the innkeepers employed.
The rest of us wake shivering at dawn and try to do our best to get warm clothes on and make our stoves work and make coffee and watch the sunrise and listen to the world wake with bird sounds.
Some of us are just more primal.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

You are typical of those that don't get off on dirt. It's OK and bless you for keeping the innkeepers employed.
The rest of us wake shivering at dawn and try to do our best to get warm clothes on and make our stoves work and make coffee and watch the sunrise and listen to the world wake with bird sounds.
Amen brother!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

BRD and groomed fire break roads are not IMO "on dirt" but this is what an overwhelming number of DL owners who go off pavement consider hardcore "dirt" riding. To me gnarly mountainous single track is "on dirt" and after spending a day riding it I am especially thankful for indoor plumbing, a thermostats, cold beer and soft bed.

There are 3 types of people:

1. People who like camping
2. People who tolerate camping
3. People who'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than go camping.

I'm not sure "primal" has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm a guy who loves riding and camping equally. This way I get to spread my good habits evenly across our great land.

And I have no desire to take this bike through lots of sloppy stuff on purpose. That's what I have a Super Sherpa for. I can pick that thing up no matter where I drop it. Oh, and it holds a lot of stuff to. Here I am, riding back from camping four nights at the Vintage Festival at BarberMotorsports Park, about 260 miles and six hours away from home:

Note the use of more Ortliebs.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
" To me gnarly mountainous single track is "on dirt" "

Beg to differ. With my riding skills when the pavement ends includes any thing that is not paved. Such as the parking area at campground where I've been known to lose footing and park the bike on it's side. You can have the Gnarly and motel, I'll opt for the night sky and the milky way. Camp fires optional.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
" To me gnarly mountainous single track is "on dirt" "

Beg to differ. With my riding skills when the pavement ends includes any thing that is not paved. Such as the parking area at campground where I've been known to lose footing and park the bike on it's side. You can have the Gnarly and motel, I'll opt for the night sky and the milky way. Camp fires optional.
You may beg to differ all you like. That's why I put "to me" not "to us".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Perazzi, do you often wade into threads not involving you and shit all over everything, or is there someone here that you just can't stand?

·
Registered
619 Posts
One camping tip I read in one of Peter Eagan's columns years ago:
He would save his old underwear throughout the year, and pack it when going on a motorcycle trip. Each day, he would throw out the old skivvies. As the trip went on, there is less weight and more room for souvenirs bought along the way, and fresh new underwear waiting when he got back.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
One camping tip I read in one of Peter Eagan's columns years ago:
He would save his old underwear throughout the year, and pack it when going on a motorcycle trip. Each day, he would throw out the old skivvies. As the trip went on, there is less weight and more room for souvenirs bought along the way, and fresh new underwear waiting when he got back.

For some throwing out a few pairs of underwear along the way would be like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic in hopes it'd sink slower.

Some people under pack most people over pack and still are few others take just enough. Who cares (apparently some). I really don't care what you pack, how you pack or where you stay. But it doesn't mean you aren't going to get a bit of ribbing along the way.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
PerazziMx14.
Dude, almost spat my wine. Some one bad mouthed you a few posts back but I love the repartee.
Those of us that camp are gonzo camping buggers and you with the single track are a gonzo rider bugger.!
Enjoy the restaurant in the hotel at the end of the day as we enjoy a flask around the campfire.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I put some kayak D rings on one end of my Givi Trekkers to catch the brides overflow, like shoes.

I put them in a waterproof bag and lash them on with the D rings.

·
Super Moderator
4,570 Posts
This is why ever since I have been gainfully employed I have chosen hotels.
When on country motorcycle trips, I stay in pubs. Old country hotels in Oz usually have low cost accommodation. They don't usually have ensuite facilities or a fridge, the toilets and showers are at the end of the hall and the bar is downstairs. They usually have a selection of meals available.

The other less preferred alternative is a motel.

·
Super Moderator
4,570 Posts
There are 3 types of people:

1. People who like camping
2. People who tolerate camping
3. People who'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than go camping.
1. Me
2. Not my wife - anything less than 3 stars is camping to her.
3. Depends if you would visit her. :p

I camp but I use my 4WD to get there.

Previous Rangie, not the current one:

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Wife and I camped out of the Jeep, Trooper and 4Runner and the BMW with a Ural sidecar towing a Kwik Kamp tent trailer.
We'd be two up camping on the solo bike early on. After her hip replacements she preferred more than 2 wheels.
We'd spend 3 week vacations in campgrounds, no hotel, motels.
I don't know that we could afford hotel/motel lodging for 3 weeks.

P38, Do you always bring your dogs with you on your camping trips? Funny looking breed.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts