StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'd say that's a great idea, down low and waterproof. How are they fastened to the bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those are bicycle panniers, actually. Ortleib has a really wonderful mounting system on their panniers that lets them just hook on and off instantly. I mounted three footman loops to the front sides of the boxes.

These bags are from their new Gravel Pack line. Very similar to their other bags but lighter and with tougher fabric.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a knack for finding off-label uses for gear. Like tank panniers, for instance. Since I always ride one-up, I see that space behind my heels as a place where more cargo can fit.

I used some truly funky-looking bicycle panniers on my ST1300

And I used the Aerostich versions on my NT700V

I've also used Ortlieb bicycle panniers on other bikes. The mounting system is just too good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, I carry a lot of gear. I'm old and it takes that much stuff to keep me comfortable. The idea is to build camp, dump all the gear, and go ride. Meanwhile back at camp, I have a comfortable place to sit, cook etc. in the dry no matter what comes.

I've changed rear bags but essentially I'm still carrying it all on the Strom.

And yes, there is a kitchen sink in there but I don't think you can see it from here.
https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/camping-kitchen-gear/products/ultra-sil-kitchen-sink

You've heard of minimalist camping? Well, I'm a maximalist.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If I had to take all that stuff with me I'd just take a U-haul.

One of the things I like about motorcycle travel is less is more. If it doesn't fit in the 3 panniers or less I don't need it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that's one difference between you and me. I've been traveling like this for sixteen years. I've taken this setup on various bikes three times to the west coast, three times into Canada, and most points in between. I set up a very comfortable place to live and I live there for a few days. It's all worth it s far as I'm concerned. And as far as the weight is concerned, it's all comparable to the average-sized wife. And it's a lot quieter.

In other words, I don't have to. I want to.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
If I had to take all that stuff with me I'd just take a U-haul.
The key is, probably, that he doesn't "have to"; rather, he has chosen to find a way to do so.

One of the things I like about motorcycle travel is less is more. If it doesn't fit in the 3 panniers or less I don't need it.
Agreed. It's nice that I can re-task my backpack hunting gear with my motorcycling adventures.

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
Well, that's one difference between you and me. I've been traveling like this for sixteen years. I've taken this setup on various bikes three times to the west coast, three times into Canada, and most points in between. I set up a very comfortable place to live and I live there for a few days. It's all worth it s far as I'm concerned. And as far as the weight is concerned, it's all comparable to the average-sized wife. And it's a lot quieter.

In other words, I don't have to. I want to.

Something nice about spending a day or so riding in an area, and knowing you have camp already set up when you get back. I too like to be comfy as possible when camping, but many times I opt for glamping!!!! Do what works for YOU, to hell with anyone else and what they think or do. I try to be minimal when I ride and camp or travel, but I always still seem to bring too much. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Bicycle stuff makes excellent motorcycling gear. Most of my cold weather gear is actually designed for riding a bicycle in winter.

When I was putting together some soft luggage recently, my first stop was looking for some bicycle touring panniers I could repurpose. They would work well, because bicycle panniers tend to be narrow and shaped to give you maximum heel clearance when you pedal. They would give you a bit more clearance for you legs on a motorcycle, in case your leg got dragged behind you.

·
Registered
14,177 Posts
I don't get to go play like I used to so i haven't upgraded some of my camp gear. I'm still using a 40-50 year old Svea 123 stove. I've been lusting after one of those silicone folding pots. With little use i can't justify the cost.
I surprised the heck out of a gal from the midwest when I produced a folding hair dryer. She and her boyfriend were camping out of a jeep, with a roof top tent. He had told her there was no room for a hairdryer. Then i also produced an ax and a folding shovel.
My friends make fun of all the crap i have.... until they have a need for it. But NO, they wouldn't carry that stuff.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Something nice about spending a day or so riding in an area, and knowing you have camp already set up when you get back. I too like to be comfy as possible when camping, but many times I opt for glamping!!!! Do what works for YOU, to hell with anyone else and what they think or do. I try to be minimal when I ride and camp or travel, but I always still seem to bring too much. :grin2:

This is why ever since I have been gainfully employed I have chosen hotels. My idea of roughing it is when the lounge/restaurant is not connected to the hotel and I have to walk a few hundred yards to get a drink and a nice hot meal and then more drinks followed my after dinner drinks and then a night cap.

Call me crazy but after a day of riding I like a nice shower, soft bed, room with heating /cooling. A toilet and running water are also nice.

Camping to me is the 9th level of Hell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My friends make fun of all the crap i have.... until they have a need for it. But NO, they would carry that stuff.
Yeah, I use everything I take at least once on every trip. We have tables and chairs and a folding grill so we can cook steaks on a picnic table if we have to. Two cook pots and a coffee press.

Here's what it looks like when we set up. This is at the Aerostich Very Boring Rally in 2013. There are a few extra chairs under the fly because ae had a few visitors the night before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I do expedition kayak tripping, so lots of light and tough gear. I could quite happy bringing my MSR Hubba, Klymit matt, and single Pocket Rocket burner! All that would fit in my top box, with room to spare :grin2:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts