aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the temptation to go fast. Very, very fast. :yikes:

Just saying. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
BS, the speed limit in most areas is 55-60, I can blow past that in second gear.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
BS, the speed limit in most areas is 55-60, I can blow past that in second gear.
You have owned enough bikes Dave to know what "fast" is, but the Stroms can for sure be ridden at a quick pace in the twisty stuff...... a Busa or a Gixxer is FAST, like we are talking 100 MPH in first gear fast!!! :fineprint::wink2:

·
Registered
338 Posts
You have owned enough bikes Dave to know what "fast" is, but the Stroms can for sure be ridden at a quick pace in the twisty stuff...... a Busa or a Gixxer is FAST, like we are talking 100 MPH in first gear fast!!! :fineprint::wink2:
I was in a trail the other day just doing 80kmh, for me that qualified as FAST.

Most racing liter bikes are in another category, it's called STUPID FAST :laugh2:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Your definition of fast is dependent on your age. When I was 21 fast was much faster than fast is at my current age, just sayin.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Granted its no busa, but oh man, that feeling of the front end lift as you follow a sport bike in twisties...

...Is not a good feeling at all

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
My nagging temptations are to look at a steep powerline hill and think "I could make it" (and I'd be wrong more than right).

I'm wired for a different kind of thrill, I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
I am constantly shown what "Fast" is on the road, doing 30k over the limit and a group of sporties blows past me like I'm standing still, humbling.

It's OK, I am already going fast enough to kill myself, no need to have a hair trigger to go along with it.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
It is still true that compared to almost any car or truck on the road short of a true supercar, a 650 V-Strom can blow their doors accelerating off the line or merging onto a highway.

It is easy to get weight off the front wheel when I come out of the toll plaza at the bridge in the morning.

I get it, its not super bike fast but still more then enough get in trouble with. I haven't owned another machine that I had to pay attention to not going 100 mph accelerating onto a fast moving highway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nothing puts a smile on my face more than a wrist full of throttle every once in a while. And ya it's still great to be there even after all of these years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went to merge on the freeway today and it was a fur ball. Dropped it down to 4th up to 5th and slalomed through the cars into clean air with a giant grin on my face the whole time. Since the cages might have well been standing still, I'd say me Vee is plenty fast.

Note, I usually don't ride like that but it was Friday after work and had my "V-Strom" playlist blasting through my Bluetooth in the helmet. Couldn't resist.

Reactions: cyclopathic

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
My Glee, with the 650 twin is quicker and faster than by Ultra was with 1450 cc motor. I rode that for 180k in all lower 48. How much do you really need?

Reactions: cyclopathic

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Stroms don't "look" fast, so it fakes people out. I ride with some guys on Wednesdays after work and the group changes some every week. The newbies on their "hot" bikes will take off on the highway showing off a little and are startled to see me next to them on this 10 year old, fugly bike. They always ask, "What is that thing?" No, it won't match a Multistrada or liter sport bike, but it keeps them honest, anyhow. I love my 1K and have spent some $$ warming it up some. Love the results.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
I admit I sometimes ride my '14 Vee2 like a hooligan. Why do I wear atgatt if not to go crazy once in a while.
Love the V twin on my Vee2. Never rode an inline 4, but am going to the BMW dealer to test an S1000xr for the fun of it. May even try a Superduke gt before winter just to see what 150+ h.p. feels like.

In the end, 100hp in my Vee2 is enough for me. I just turned 60 this year, and would like to go from old age!!!

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
It's why I have the CBF1000.

Looks like a CBF600.....goes like the Fireblade it was born from. I just can't get a thrill off the Wee tho stripped down it is nimble, fun and comfortable.
I love the wind out of an inline four and this was is detuned from the superbike motor for more torque so pulls like a freight train .....sub 500 lb ....a thrill anytime you twist the wrist.

Careful with that S1000XR - it's also 500 lb but 160 HP.

The kids rode the Honda CBR1000rrs at a demo and both came back and said - what's the point ....160 kph in first gear ....
They enjoyed the CBR600rr much more.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Anyone can ride fast in a straight line, not many can ride fast in corners.
Also my answer to how fast can you go is, "How far can you go, you pick the start line and I will pick the finish."

1 - 20 of 52 Posts