StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a rider, even on one of the biggest motorcycles, we remain very small. And when you are in traffic, car drivers might

miss seeing us and before we know it, we've crashed into them. It's not that the car driver isn't looking for us, many

actually do try to pay attention to bikers, but at times they just don't see us. One of the possible reasons is Motion

Induced Blindness.

Motion Induced Blindness, also known as MIB, is a recently discovered phenomena. Back in 1991 it was first formulated as

something that could cause people in motion not to see certain things. Jet fighters and even airline pilots know about

it, since in essence MIB is a result of staring into a space while in motion. With your vehicle's movement (be it a jet

fighter or a car), looking at a spot (like the center of the road) can hide other objects.

Look at the moving diagram below. You see three yellow spots on the outer limits, in the center is a green blinking dot

and around it are blue crosses turning. Not exactly a situation you'll find on the road, but it's just to illustrate the

MIB point (image driving a car on a country road with trees lined on both sides and the yellow dots are motorcycles). If

you now stare at the green blinking dot, you'll suddenly see the yellow dots disappear and reappear. There's no rhyme or

reason behind the timing, it happens at different times for different people. Have look:

Motion-induced blindness demonstration

You can say that the dots are too small, that is why you can't see them, or that they are turning to fast, or slow.

Well, head on over to the MSF site and try it there. The same diagram

can be changed by increasing or decreasing the size of the spots, or making things go faster or slower. The result is

the same; you'll occasionally not see the yellow objects.

Basically the MIB phenomena means that even if you are wearing high-visibility jackets, a car could not see you.

The only way out of this process is to have the car driver shift eyes continuously, i.e., not stare in one spot

(straight ahead). So, no white line fever, something that for sure will involve cars ramming into motorcycles.

Obviously MIB is not the main reason that cars and motorcycle have accidents. There are many factors at play, and as we

know from statistics, around 70% of motorcycle accidents are caused by car drivers, and this will be one of them.

What can we do as motorcycle riders? Not much. If the car driver can't see you because of MIB, maybe the only thing is

flashing your headlights and swerving, but that will result in a whole other series of problems and dangers. Nobody ever

said that riding motorcycles is a safe hobby.

Click here

to read more about Motion Induced Blindness

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
Goooolllly! if that don't beat all! Keep your eyes wiggling and the little dots stay there.
That 'splains why we's invisible to the cagers, they're brain dead.
Staring mindlessly at the nothingness.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I experienced a visual SMIDSY involving a wing and a pickup last week, and I now finally "get it": I understand we become invisible.

Early evening sun, red pickup truck running toward me....

What's odd with that truck?..lots of glare off its hood.

I didn't see the wing in front for several seconds.

Same color as the truck and it stayed center in the lane. I was shocked.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
To reduce the risk of MIB....... WEAVE!

When I'm approaching an intersection or adjoining side road I weave within my own lane, this "attracts the attention" of any drivers who may be about to pull out in my path. [this really does work, I have had cars that were partially out of the intersection suddenly stop to allow me to go by :fineprint: ]

I also use the "weave" pattern if I feel I'm at risk from approaching cars who may either turn across my path or pull out to overtake the car ahead of them coming towards me.

Using the full width of your lane is legal and can keep you alive, lane position can be vital in an emergency situation.

I change my lane position to give me as much safe distance from adjoining roadways and other possible "risk" areas often during my rides. [can't do that as effectively when I'm in the car though :thumbdown: ]

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

When I'm approaching an intersection or adjoining side road I weave within my own lane, this "attracts the attention" of any drivers who may be about to pull out in my path. [this really does work, I have had cars that were partially out of the intersection suddenly stop to allow me to go by :fineprint: ]

I also use the "weave" pattern if I feel I'm at risk from approaching cars who may either turn across my path or pull out to overtake the car ahead of them coming towards me.

Using the full width of your lane is legal and can keep you alive, lane position can be vital in an emergency situation.

I change my lane position to give me as much safe distance from adjoining roadways and other possible "risk" areas often during my rides. [can't do that as effectively when I'm in the car though :thumbdown: ]

Pretty much my approach, too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
So, this proves that we are invisible with out Harry Potters cloak. Keep moving around, make eye contact with oncoming drivers, keep your head up, Times two when riding your bike!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Weaving

Good advice on how to counter "Motion Induced Blindness". Headlight modulators are another arrow in our quiver. Anything that catches the eye of cagers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Whilst I agree with most of what is written, there is another element. Due to safety and all other nonsense, car / vans/ suv, etc have A-posts and B-posts that are just getting bigger and bigger, thus creating huge blindspots. Case in point, I was in a left turn filter lane, creeping, waiting for an opening, when the lady at the T-juction almost pulled out into the side of me, stopped at the last second, I was watching her eyes and although see was looking all around did not see me...... I was in a big F*** Off BMW SUV!!! I think if there is alot of traffic that would also add to the SMIDSY, whereas on a slow country lane with few vehicles you have more chance of being seen, unless a farmer in tractor pulls out os a field, 'cos they really could not give a toss about anybody (unless you're his favourite sheep.....)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Due to safety and all other nonsense, car / vans/ suv, etc have A-posts and B-posts that are just getting bigger and bigger, thus creating huge blindspots.
I think my Honda Element has some of the biggest A-Pillars in the business.

On occasion, I've been surprised by things appearing from behind them.

This is another example of how weaving can help.

You can appear to the driver from behind the A-Pillar by weaving in your lane.

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
Whilst I agree with most of what is written, there is another element. Due to safety and all other nonsense, car / vans/ suv, etc have A-posts and B-posts that are just getting bigger and bigger, thus creating huge blindspots. Case in point, I was in a left turn filter lane, creeping, waiting for an opening, when the lady at the T-juction almost pulled out into the side of me, stopped at the last second, I was watching her eyes and although see was looking all around did not see me...
If you could see her eyes then the A pillar wasn't blocking her from seeing you.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
Good advice on how to counter "Motion Induced Blindness". Headlight modulators are another arrow in our quiver. Anything that catches the eye of cagers.
Modulators can bring out strong feelings for and against.

My experience: I witnessed three SMIDSY type almost hits plus one close calll where a bus pulled into the lane of a rider. All had Modulators on. In all cases it looked to me like the drivers mistook the modulated headlights for a "go ahead" signal.

I think they might help someone see you a mile away, but do little if anything when it really matters.

..Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Twinlker vs. wig wag lights.....

I saw this review on webbike world for an LED twinkle modulator. Seems to be a slightly different concept from the usual wig-wag headlight modulators. The modulator causes an almost random twinkle. Have any of yall seen or used these little guys?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was reading an article last week regarding bike incidents. I hate statistics due to the way they are abused, but one interesting figure was given for a country that had a massive boom in bikes over a relatively short number of years.

The stat given was that there had been a significant reduction in the percentage of car/bike incidents, which they attributed to the greater presence of bikes on the road.

As some have already posted, relative motion between the bike and the viewer adds to the chance of being seen. Some of the lighting ideas may also have merit, but I'd like to see those damned cycle strobe lights banned as they are getting so bright that they are a distraction and a safety hazard.

·
Registered
107 Posts
.....Some of the lighting ideas may also have merit, but I'd like to see those damned cycle strobe lights banned as they are getting so bright that they are a distraction and a safety hazard.
Are you talking about LED lights? Sorry that you find them distracting but properly positioned they make a big difference in head-on visibility. I run Denali D2 lights and I have seen drivers start to pull into my path them see me and I attribute that directly to the additional lighting.

·
Registered
546 Posts
and sometimes they just don't care..

I had a minivan pull a U-Turn IMMEDIATELY in front of me from the right hand shoulder yesterday. 4 lane road. across two sets of double yellows and a marked barrier. I was the only rider/driver going in my direction besides him. hi viz jacket. D2s and headlights on.

The idiot missed me by a foot or so as I rode off the lane to the left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts