StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a curly one..... 2014 Vee2. Mods - Arrow collector, Yosh can, XTRE, DNA air filter, other chassis mods are not applicable. Filled fuel tank yesterday and headed off for an overnighter, less than 5 kms down the road the motor gave a massive hiccup like the kill switch was turned off and on again, the ABS light flashed slowly 3 or 4 times but the bike kept going and ran perfectly for the next 70 odd kms, then did the same thing again 4 or 5 times in the space of around 500 metres. Once again, the ABS light flashed slowly while this was happening, pulled the clutch in and the motor stalled, released the clutch and the motor re- started. Not prepared to get caught without phone service, I turned for home and pulled over where I could. Checked all electrical connectors I could get to and found nothing obvious, so started the bike and rode back home without any problem. Once home, I hooked up to the OBD tool and no fault codes were displayed and all values were within factory parameters. Gave the bike a thorough inspection and found nothing untoward, rode around 150km today and the bike ran flawlessly. Any ideas???

·
Registered
570 Posts
Don't know if it's possible wth fuel injection but sounds like an air lock in the fuel system?
But don't trust in my brain :surprise:

Reactions: Stromaholic

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Sounds more electrical. The first thing to try is to tighten the battery terminals.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, first check was that, all good

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Ever had bad gas (water in gas)? Just a WAG.

·
38,103 Posts
That isn't it. The ABS light antics indicate low voltage in the system, at least intermittently. Also check the battery ground at the engine case. That is part of the recall.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Definitely sounds like an electrical issue. Which can be many different things to check. There is a recall as mentioned, and this was to correct the harness from rubbing and causing an intermittent short. Which sounds like what you have? Beyond that I would be checking connectors and the ground wires like greywolf mentioned.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Time passes by

Our batteries in the 2014 bikes are creeping up on being 4 years old. Heck, mine was 2+ years old before its first mile. I know that on my BMW the battery seemed okay (volt meter =12.5) but it was not passing the bike's test circuit. This is evidently known in the beemer service departments. Obviously, I can't know that this applies here. (Occam's Razor)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input so far. Recall has been done and I checked the earth strap as a precaution, but all ok. Bike is on a trickle charger whenever it is not being ridden, battery appears to be in perfect condition. Stator and regulator? Wonder if they were updated from the previous model that had so much trouble?

·
38,103 Posts
Your model comes with a series regulator/rectifier. There have been no reports yet of charging problems but enough reports of connector corrosion to have generated a recall.

·
RazzleH
217 Posts
Our batteries in the 2014 bikes are creeping up on being 4 years old. Heck, mine was 2+ years old before its first mile. I know that on my BMW the battery seemed okay (volt meter =12.5) but it was not passing the bike's test circuit. This is evidently known in the beemer service departments. Obviously, I can't know that this applies here. (Occam's Razor)
That's a good one to keep in mind. Our batteries are older than when we purchased our bikes. Think I'll be investing in a replacement before my next long trip, just to keep away from a major cause of little niggling but unexplainable faults. :kiss:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct dovetailredux, it's part of the pre-delivery

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Correct dovetailredux, it's part of the pre-delivery
I may be wrong, but I don't believe electrolyte is put into the battery until the bike is prepped for sale.
That is correct. Obviously the clock varies on specific bikes. Some dealers setup the bikes one at a time as they are sold. In some metro areas they are uncrated at a third party warehouse in advance and delivered to the showroom. Either way batteries go bad with time and vibration and they should be tested when trying to figure out weird faults on computerized machines.

Reactions: Stromaholic

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
My guess is that during your inspection to find the problem you fixed it. Maybe it was a loose connector, or the battery terminal was loose just a hair.

Wait and see if it happens again before you do anything else IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds electrical as stated previously by others. I had a chafing issue when my 2014 DL1000 was new. It was part of the recall. I found the issue when I removed the seat and plastics, then started the bike. I wiggled the wire harness, starting from the battery and moving forward, until the bike hiccuped. May want to try this. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts