StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 1 valve is out of spec. It's an exhaust that has only .08mm clearance (spec is .2-.3mm). Since I've got a loud ticking noise from this bank.....I'm kinda looking for a loose valve. This is the opposite (as would be expected). I can't think of any reason why this (tight valve) could make ANY noise....but want to check you you folks first in case I'm overlooking something. If anything, that one should be nearly dead silent, right?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
There could be combustion gasses blowing out the exhaust on the compression stroke. That's a very tight valve and it and the seat may be burning. The engines are so mechanically noisy, valve ticking would probably be drowned out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There could be combustion gasses blowing out the exhaust on the compression stroke. That's a very tight valve and it and the seat may be burning. The engines are so mechanically noisy, valve ticking would probably be drowned out.
Yea, .08 is tight. Can a comp test be done on a motor with a decomp. device? Not possible right? Have to do leak down?

Something just came to mind while inspecting one of the cams- could this "clacking" noise I (and apparently others) hear actually be the decompression doohicky making noise under certain conditions? I know it should only come into play at sub-300ish rpm.....but maybe? Nothing else looks "noisy" in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts