StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips/tricks/products you use to clean your face shield when away from home? I'm getting lots'o bug splatter. At home I just use windex and a paper towel. Not sure if there is something better I should be putting in my tank bag.

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
I carry 2 of the "Miracle towels". One dampened and in a ziplock. The other dry for polishing. These are very soft and non scratching.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
I use Honda shield and plastic polish every other night on the road. Carry a wet wash cloth in a zip lock and some soft paper towels. With the polish it only takes one or two wipes with the wash cloth and it's clean. Same thing with the helmet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Don't use paper towels. They scratch shields. I carry a small can of Plexus and a cotton towel. There are other similar products that work well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lemon Pledge

Believe it or not lemon Pledge. I use it on all my families helmet visors and all windscreens. Spray it all over bugs windscreen /visor ,rub over bugs then use a separate Soft cloth and polish, may need to do it twice. Two other things, it covers all the fine scratches and makes water just beads off.....

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
I use "both" Honda polish and Plexus, and wipe with a microfiber towel. I agree with never using paper towels. Let the plexus or Honda polish sit on the sheild a bit, and the bugs will melt right off.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Believe it or not lemon Pledge. I use it on all my families helmet visors and all windscreens. Spray it all over bugs windscreen /visor ,rub over bugs then use a separate Soft cloth and polish, may need to do it twice. Two other things, it covers all the fine scratches and makes water just beads off.....
A big +1 on that, best stuff I've found so far.:cool:

Jerry

·
Registered
852 Posts
Okay, I too am a Pledge user.

However at present, I am using "Outdoor Fresh" Pledge and not the "Lemon" scented version.

Back in the 1960's I was working as a "Hey Boy" at a large general aviation airfield. I spent a lot of extra hours there cleaning and detailing airplanes. I learned early on the best way to clean the windows on a aircraft was Johnson's Pledge. I've been using it ever since.

Works good, lasts a long time!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Lemon Pledge spray or wipes, and 2 microfiber towels (got'em from Wally World). Pledge also works on the rest of the bike, too . . . paint, chrome, aluminum, etc. Used it to clean and shine my cruiser end to end all the time (which is why I bought a Wee - it's supposed to be dirty). Softens and removes bug splat quite well.

Don't use paper towels, nor Windex on your faceshield. Paper towels scratch, and Windex and like products will eventually glaze the plastic.

Oh yeah, Pledge will give your bike a nice lemon-fresh scent, too! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Treat it like a pair of glasses. Eyeglass cleaner and microfiber cloth work fine. To keep from getting the microfiber cloth all plugged up with bug guts, get the worst off with one of the premoistened throwaway lens towelettes that you can get at most pharmacies and sunglass kiosks (the ones from the pharmacy are cheaper but the packaging is bulkier).

If you can find one, a Wee Willie visor cleaning kit works nicely and has the advantage of being compact.

In a pinch though, just pull into a gas station and use the windshield cleaner. Yeah, you may get a little scratch on the visor, but it beats having it covered with bugsplat, and so far that method actually seems to work about as well as using eyglass cleaner.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I use precaged wipes for helmet visors. It comes with a wet cloth with atifog stuff that disolves bugs well and keep dust and water of the shield, and a dry cloth to buff the solution out.

It works great, and they are easy to keep a set to use each night after a long ride. I will get you guys the name when I get back home, I am visiting NY for the first time :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Watch out for the Pledge. It attracts bees for some reason and wasps. We were riding cross country and stopped at a campground for the evening. My friend used Pledge so I borrowed the can after they sprayed and we got bombarded by bees and flying things buzzing around. It works on the shields though.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I will try the pledge, sounds SWEEeet. Another note is if you carry a dampened towel or even for windscreen cleaning during washing. Drape the dampened towel (hot water works best) on the visor or windscreen and leave it there for a few moments. This will soften the cooked bug gue and make it easier to remove, thereby limiting any additional potential scraches that could occur during the cleaning process. Make sure you flip the rag before reuse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice. I knew paper towels were a problem but in a hurry, in a pinch, - gotta get the window clean!! (one of the conundrums in life is why can't some smart person invent a lens for glasses that is tougher than a paper towel! good grief)
I didn't know about windex though. I will quit using that. After reading this, I found on another forum about the ammonia in Windex clouding the plastic.
On my way to get some microfiber towels and pledge. (who'd thought of that?)
I looked online for the Honday Spray/Polish. I read a few different posts about it being pulled off the shelves since some environmental rules had changed and it no longer meets the rules.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Plexus is good stuff too. It penetrates the plastic and seals it. It also makes it easier to get future bug hits off. I don't know if it contains silicone that can make painting a contacted area difficult. I do know Pledge does contain silicone.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
+1 more for Lemon Pledge

+1 more on the Lemon Pledge. After reading this post, I tried it and was amazed by how well it works. Thanks for the Post.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Another vote here for the micro fiber cloth.
Something else I do when its available is a warm cloth. I dont use it for wiping but just letting a wet warm cloth sit on the shield for a few minutes will soften the critter guts enough that they will wipe away much easier with any apropriate cloth (not paper towels). A waitress working for a nice tip will often lend a nice wet warm cloth for you to borrow while you are finishing up your post meal coffee. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I keep a wet microfiber cloth in a ziplock bag and a dry one, works pretty well. I am now gonna have to try the pledge too though, never thought of that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In a pinch though, just pull into a gas station and use the windshield cleaner.

GAH! Eeeek! Egad! NOOOOOOO....

Fer crying out loud, no...

What you DO, however, is go over to where they got the water for fillin' rads, and you soak the shield with that. Let it kinda soften the bugs while you take a whizz.

Then you grab yer handy-dandy packet of vinegar, pilfered from yer local fast-food McJoint, and you squirt that on the shield. Wipe with soft cloth, et voila.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like Plexus, especially the small pocket-sized locking spray bottles:

I keep this and a cotton washcloth handy. Before removing helmet, close visor, spray at face, wipe, done.

I find that nothing cleans a long day of bugs off the visor, winscreen, and fairing like a moistened Motel6 bath towel. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts