StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading into Georgia. This will be the first time I’ve been on a bike that isn’t a Harley Road King in 20 years. No floorboards Ali’s gonna be different. Haven’t used my toe to shift up in all that time.

Not even sure I can get on the damn thing! Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good luck alabiker!
It'll be a different ball game for sure. I love the heel shifter on my RSTD!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 50 mile into the ride so far, stopped at a Waffle House for a few coffees.

This thing is a blast! I was a bit shaky for the first few minutes but the Strom is damned easy to get familiar with.

Riding US 29 through west Georgia. Very nice. Not too much traffic and lots of sweeps and curves. Bike is handling like a boss.

68 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Don’t get much better than this.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You will be amazed what a 650 cc bike can do and how much fun it is. Just be mindful initially that this new toy is much more top heavy than your HD's were. So maneuver carefully when the bike is stationary.

Well you posted while I wrote and said it already. Have fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
115 miles now. Stopped for the night, wife and I weren’t gonna make it home in time for the Bama/Georgia game so we’ll head home in the morning, supposed to be another beautiful day. Gonna work out to around 250 miles tomorrow, perfect.

Bike was 9 grand out the door. Could have probably found a 2020 for the same price but I fell in love with the looks of the 19. Enough that I drove over 300 miles to pick it up.

Added a lifetime guarantee on the battery for $109. A battery costs that much and I put several on the Harley in 20 years.

Anyway, thrilled with this bike. The Road King rode like a nice recliner with handlebars. The Strom rides like a motorcycle. Had forgotten what that was like.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In May I bought the same bike, same color, same OTD price.
I too preferred the 2019 due to the smaller bags, although at the time I don't think my dealer had any 2020s discounted anyway.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now XTs and Adventures are pretty hard to find in my area. A local dealer, part of a group of 8 stores, had a couple on their website but not only did they not have one, none of their other 7 dealers did. Was glad to find this one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congratulations on your choice and welcome to the group. Isn't it strange how much the 650 reminds us of the bikes we grew up with? It combines so many good attributes, and although it might not be the absolute best of everything, it does most everything really well. Certainly my favorite bike ever. I hope you enjoy yours as much. Best, DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Camped there with the Harley a couple of times. I’m sure I’ll go back on the Strom. Dropped the RK in some mud at one of their primitive campsites, it fell downslope. Fortunately a Park Ranger came along and helped pick the 800+ pounds back up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some first thoughts:

She’s quick. Definitely not powerful but quick.
Fast enough. Didn’t push it today, but 5 grand in 6th ran about 69-70, so a lot more room on the throttle.
Helmet buffeting even at 70 just wasn’t there.
Short run on Interstate, passed by a few semis. Bike didn’t even know they were there.
Don’t like the turn signal switch. Have had switches on both sides for 20 years, this is gonna take some getting used to.
Also wish the turn signals were self-canceling.
Hard to see the fuel status. Probably gonna use the odometer. The fuel gauge on the Harley quit 50,000 miles ago so it won’t be anything new.
I’m 6’1”. Was able to flatfoot the bike.
Peg height wasn’t as bad as I had feared but am sure it will be better when I get the Adventuretech peg/lever adjuster.
Ergos otherwise are great.
Pretty decent seat. Only spent about 3 hours on the bike but no discomfort at all.

That’s enough for now. Yeah, I’m really pleased with the purchase.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts