StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to like this bike, and the only thing stopping me is the seat! I bought the airhawk pad and it sucks too! Not sure why nobody else has this problem but i have tried barely inflating it to the point where my butt bones are right back to digging into the seat. Problem is when i sit on the pad all the air goes between my legs and makes a big bubble under my junk, so now my butt doesn't hurt but now my family jewels can't take more than 15 minutes before I'm dying! I know there's options for different seats but I'm not really ready to dump $500 into a seat just to make the bike bearable, considering i sold an Aprilia Futura (which by the way is the most comfortable bike ever!) for $4000 and bought this vstrom for $2700 but by the time i get done putting a bunch of aftermarket parts on it, I'm gonna be right back to what the Aprilia was. Maybe I'm just venting but I'm really starting to regret getting rid of a much more comfortable bike to get a bike that feels like I'm sitting on concrete. Soooo, I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, and I've read some of the past posts about seats and pads, but nobody has really followed up after the numerous comments I've seen of people saying "I bought such and such seat but haven't put any miles on it yet". So what is the "best" set up someone has found for making this bike tolerable or possibly actually comfortable? I'm not looking to put a $500 seat on a $2700 bike, that seems crazy considering i could've just stuck with the Aprilia, but i thought i was gonna put $1300 in my pocket and get a 650 that would get way better mileage, cheaper insurance and be more reliable, all of which hasn't been the case. Ok I'm done ranting now!!!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I bought the airhawk pad and it sucks too! Not sure why nobody else has this problem but i have tried barely inflating it to the point where my butt bones are right back to digging into the seat. Problem is when i sit on the pad all the air goes between my legs and makes a big bubble under my junk, so now my butt doesn't hurt but now my family jewels can't take more than 15 minutes before I'm dying!
I love my two AirHawks. I bought one new & the other like new, two different styles. I switch them between five bikes. Even though, two of my bikes have aftermarket seats, I still use an AirHawk.
I don't have any advise for you on proper inflation, as you stated you have tried minimal pressure, but if your getting a bubble, it's over inflated.
AirHawk has a money back guaranty, which they doubled the time period for, on the one I bought at Bike Week. I was more than happy with it, and kept it.
Hope you find a remedy for you bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went to the IMS in Long Beach and Air Hawk had a booth with a gel seat and an Air Hawk seat demo set up. I was really surprised how much more comfortable the Air Hawk was.

I'm hoping the '12 Wee has a comfortable seat, but if not, Air Hawk is my first choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love my two AirHawks. I bought one new & the other like new, two different styles. I switch them between five bikes. Even though, two of my bikes have aftermarket seats, I still use an AirHawk.
I don't have any advise for you on proper inflation, as you stated you have tried minimal pressure, but if your getting a bubble, it's over inflated.
AirHawk has a money back guaranty, which they doubled the time period for, on the one I bought at Bike Week. I was more than happy with it, and kept it.
Hope you find a remedy for you bike.
Which one works the best for you? Maybe I bought the wrong one, i got the small cruiser pad which seemed to fit the shape of the seat better than the other cruiser shape. I can't deflate it anymore to avoid the bubble under my privates because it gets too thin to keep my butt bones off the seat. What i can't understand is if you're supposed to barely inflate it, why would they make the air pockets so big? It just seems like it would work better if it had a bunch of tiny air pockets so all the air wouldn't force itself into one big bubble under the one place you don't want it. Well I'll just keep trying to adjust it and see what i come up with, thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I went to the IMS in Long Beach and Air Hawk had a booth with a gel seat and an Air Hawk seat demo set up. I was really surprised how much more comfortable the Air Hawk was.

I'm hoping the '12 Wee has a comfortable seat, but if not, Air Hawk is my first choice.
I sat on a 2012, before I decided on my 2011 left over. The seat felt nice, but it takes a decent trip, before you know if your happy with it.
I feel the AirHawk enhances any seat. I don't think it will make someone, like a seat, they were dissatisfied with, in the beginning.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts

I found the 2012 seat vastly better than the 06. I can ride all day (well longest has been 7 hours so far) on the 2012 seat without problems.
My modded 06 seat I had to be real careful to keep moving around after a couple of hours.

FWIW: There is a thicker stock Suzuki seat.

Pete

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Which one works the best for you? Maybe I bought the wrong one, i got the small cruiser pad which seemed to fit the shape of the seat better than the other cruiser shape. I can't deflate it anymore to avoid the bubble under my privates because it gets too thin to keep my butt bones off the seat. What i can't understand is if you're supposed to barely inflate it, why would they make the air pockets so big? It just seems like it would work better if it had a bunch of tiny air pockets so all the air wouldn't force itself into one big bubble under the one place you don't want it. Well I'll just keep trying to adjust it and see what i come up with, thanks for the response.
I think your right by continuing different inflations. I'd call AirHawk and see what they have to say. They're the experts.
I'm using the large cruiser model on my Wee. I've only had the bike about ten days, so till NJ gets some warmer weather, it will be awhile till I get to test it on a long trip.
I used the small cruiser on my Concours last Sept. and did a 7000 mile ride. It worked fine, but I believe the large cruiser, I've since acquired, would fit it better.
There's a new model, call the Cruiser "R", which looks like it would alleviate the problem your having with the bubble.
Hope you get it worked out.

Cruiser "R"

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
Flash, the air Hawk works best with the least amount of air in it.
If it interferes with your "junk" maybe you are overloaded and more of a man than the rest of us.
RTFM, if you have too much air in the hawk and sit down with all your junk to forcefully, it will pop a seam.
To save you all the pain and aggravation, I'll give you 25 bucks for the Hawk, you cover shipping ! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flash, the air Hawk works best with the least amount of air in it.
If it interferes with your "junk" maybe you are overloaded and more of a man than the rest of us.
RTFM, if you have too much air in the hawk and sit down with all your junk to forcefully, it will pop a seam.
To save you all the pain and aggravation, I'll give you 25 bucks for the Hawk, you cover shipping ! :mrgreen:
LOL Not sure if I'm ready to take that deal yet. I think the problem is that I'm skinny, if my legs rubbed in the middle it might prevent my junk resting on the bubble, but only time will tell if i can dial in this pad. Maybe I'll try a sheep pad over the airhawk but I think it might end up being to high for me to touch the ground without being on my toes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
AirHawk

I purchased a Medium Crusier for my old 230L which ftted new V Strom perfectly. Only problem here, is, with constant rain for most of this year, I have to keep the cover dry. No 2 son recently destroyed the gearbox of family ute so have been forced to use V Strom for shopping, commuting and taking wife to station and return every day. So...keeping seat dry has been a problem. Mind you...that is hardly worth winging about!! Rod

·
Registered
86 Posts
ive had an airhawk for years , infact my wife has one too , wouldnt ride any distance without one . i also move mine from bike to bike . the difference is amazing on every bike ive owned . i cannot give you any advice on what to do, maybe your just one of those people who cannot take to a airhawk seat .

·
Registered
317 Posts
How big of a guy are you?

The 650 seat sucks pretty bad for anyone that doesn't need it that low. At the very least, you could spend about $100 and find a DL1000 seat. It's definitely better. I've got a Russel Day Long that has over 100k miles on it and love it for long distance. I also recently picked up a Rick Mayer from a buddy and its my seat of choice around town or when I'm 2up with my wife since the rear portion is also done for the passenger.

I have 2 air hawks also, although they very rarely get used on the strom since I have some great seats for it, but I love it on other bikes like DS type bikes. I do use the air hawk on my wifes F650GS to jack me up some since she has a low seat on her bike.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Seat Concepts DIY about $170

This is a comment not a review. You seem extra sensitive so maybe this is NOT an area you should skimp on

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I got a buttbuffer seat pad made for a cruiser. Works wonders

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
stock seat on the old version DL650 is about as bad as it gets. I had great results with the Suzuki Gel seat, bought one here at a good price, less than $150, it's flat, wide, firm, different in every way from the torture device they come with. It sounds like the new seat won't fit the old ones, the new seats are great right out of the crate, I may replace mine with the tall version, but just for leg room, not comfort.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, the stock seat does not work for most. The airhawk is not for me either. I have it and used it once or twice. Will be selling it soon.

Went with a Suzuki gel seat for $120 and it works great for me.

You have lots of options for way under $500:

1. Buy a used corbin for $250-$300,
2. Buy a used sargent for $250-$300
3. Buy a used Suzuki gel for $150 or less
4. Buy a used Russell for $350
5. Buy another custom builder's used seat for under $300

If you don't like what you bought (as long as you buy it well), sell it and lose nothing or $50 at the most.
Once you find the seat you like, sell the stock one on here for $50. And sell the airhawk... you'll be out $200 at the most.

6. Go back to the Aprilia and be happy without having to change anything.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Why don'cha try modifying your current seat by carving out a depression in the foam where your balls dangle so that the inflated "bubble" has a place to expand instead of pushing up at you? I really don't understand why more OEM seats aren't configured like this to reduce pressure in the perineal (hah!...technical term!) area.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I picked up a used 1000 seat, that has solved most of my issues. Corbin was too slippery and gel seat created some awkward pressure. I caved and got a dual russell day long in the group buy. I havn't put many miles on it yet, but its extremely comfortable so far. I would still keep the 1000 seat for those rowdy backroad days though.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Airhawk

I tried an airhawk at the urging of my brother-in-law, he swears by them!

I DO NOT like the way that I can't get away from it. It feels like it's touching me everywhere!

It does what airhawk says, equal pressure wherever it touches -- or something like that . . .

I like to be able to adjust my position on the seat to redistribute the support to another portion of my body.
I ride with a Corbin saddle on my Vee and it doesn't have much 'cushion' but it works well -- FOR ME -- and that's all that I care about (well, relative to a motorcycle saddle anyway).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts