Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only do it in a single day if you want to miss a thousand pictures. Took off this morning a little after 8:30 and didn't get home for 11 1/2 hours and 455 miles later.

Route was from Graham to Olympia to Aberdeen, follow 101 north to about 20 or so miles past Forks, take 113 to 112 through Clallum Bay to Neah Bay. From there took Cape Flattery road to the most nortwestern point in the contiguous US... Cape Flattery.

There is about a 1/2 mile trail down to several view points so I took a break and did that. This was the halfway point of the trip. Once I left Cape Flattery I retraced my route back past Clallum Bay but instead of taking a direct path back to 101 I took a left and stuck with 112 (also known as the Straight of Juan de Fuca highway) which bypassed all but the last few miles of 101 (including Lake Crescent) to Port Angeles.

Had Wendy's for lunch (dinner actually it was about 5:30 by this time) continued on 101 to 104 to the Hood Canal Bridge, down through the Kitsap Peninsula across the Tacoma narrows bridge and made it home about 8:00 p.m.

First stop for pictures 101 at the pacific ocean.

Now alongside the Straights of Juan de Fuca.

Finally a couple of the destination point.

As I said, to get this trip done in a day I missed a thousand pictures and if there is a video of 112 would someone please link it to this thread. That ride video should me made if it hasn't already been done.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I've done the peninsula twice. Once on the Pacific side and the other on the inside. Really nice country to see. A one day-er would be a marathon.
Like most places one could spend days to do it real justice. I'm sure we missed 90%.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Great photos. Thank you.

The Strait of Juan de Fuca is named after an explorer sailing for King Phillip II of Spain in 1592. Ioánnis Fokás seems to have been his original name, and Juan de Fuca was the Spanish transcription. Anyway, the Strait is the 95 mile long body of water that has the Pacific Ocean at its west, Washington State's Olympic Peninsula on its south, Canada's Vancouver Island on its north, and Washington's Whidbey Island on its east. A ship sailing from the Pacific transits the Strait, Admiralty Inlet, and Puget Sound on its way to Seattle.

Clallam Bay is named for the indigenous people who were members of the Coastal Salish tribes. When used for the native peoples Klallam is often the more common spelling. My wife lived her first three years in the community of Sekiu (SEE-que) on Clallam Bay.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Didja see any dem sparlky vampires?

Sorry, don't know why but i was compelled.

I used to dive alot up around Hoodsport. I never really thought about this ride but now its on my list. I think It would make a great 2 day if I start on the sound side and ride it around and down the coastline back to Oregon.

Thanks!

Go team Blade.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didja see any dem sparlky vampires?

Sorry, don't know why but i was compelled.

I used to dive alot up around Hoodsport. I never really thought about this ride but now its on my list. I think It would make a great 2 day if I start on the sound side and ride it around and down the coastline back to Oregon.

Thanks!

Go team Blade.
I WAS... going to get a picture or two of Forks for those Twilight fans in my family but couldn't really find anything pictureworthy (or sparkly). The Hood Canal leg of 101 is a great ride also but I don't think I would have gotten home until 10:00 or later if I had tried to add it to this trip.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
I grew up I Sequim. The Olympic Peninsula is a beautiful place!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts