StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who now have had both the old/new 1000 can you give me your insight(s) into how each compares on normal highway riding? My friend has a mint 2002 for sale and the Suzuki dealer has a new 1000. Seven grand difference.
I am also considering the new Tenere with es. Actually, it is the cruise control that I....adore! I do long distance riding and loved it on my BMW GT.
Thanks for you time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
for me cruise control is not a big deal as there are so many throttle lock options out there that work really well. as far as the highway rider of the old vs new I would say they are both pretty close. if you do lots of highway riding the Yamaha maybe the best bike but the used 2002 you are working at is definitely the best bang for the buck if it is in good shape with the right miles.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
...and the Suzuki dealer has a new 1000. Seven grand difference...
A new first-generation Vee or a new (2014) second-generation Vee ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
As far as strictly highway riding I believe they are both about the same, both geared about the same, the previous generation had a little bit better wind protection then this generation. I was getting around 36-37mpg on previous generation, this generation getting around 42-44mpg

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought Used 2012 Super Tenere with only 9000 miles loaded with bags, Rox Riser, Sargeant Seat, Crash Bar, Kaoke Throttle lock and a few other things for less than a new stripped DL1000.

I really like it. But I will put on a Rostra when I get back from STAR in 2 weeks. No other way to go, in my opinion, when doing multiple 400 -600 mile days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If cruise control is important, you should look at what some of us did to our DL650's to put on a car cruise control. It worked awesome and can be safely done. I am sure someone here will adapt the same thing to the DL1000.

I wish they would just make that standard on these bikes. After all, most of the Adventure touring bikes are more street than offroad (excluding the BMW 1200, but it is a beast off road). On my Ducati Multistrada, since it is computer fly-by-wire we were able to reprogram the computer and install cruise buttons to give it full cruise, resume, etc. On my DL650 I put on the CC100.

The Yamaha is a good street runner, but I am not a big fan of the high center of gravity and high seat height, but the motor is really sweet. Same goes for the Triumph Tiger 1200. The Triumph Tiger 800 is sweet, but no cruise. There is a guy on ADV Rider that is retroing a Rostra Cruise on his '12 Tiger 800.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts