StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a Kawasaki W-650 over the weekend. Older bike nothing special a cool little around town bike.
IT had a KICK STARTER. God I miss a kick started. The Wee should have one just for emergency's. Do you think it would be nice if the Wee had a Kicker?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It wouldn't be worth the weight.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
???????????? Why, thats maybe 2 lbs

·
38,103 Posts
Way more. Here's the kick starter on a Honda CB750. It also would not work with a dead battery. It's about as useful as a hand crank on a car today.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Had a new 1975 XS 650 Yamaha in my younger days, was almost impossible to start with the kickstarter, not so bad when it was warm but forget about it when it was a cold day with a cold motor. I would have to agree that a kickstarter on the wee would have as much purpose as tits on a bull.

·
38,103 Posts
It's almost 2012 guys. Look at the Suzuki lineup. If a bike has a headlight, it has an electric starter. Kick starters began leaving in the 1970s. My 1975 BMW R90S and 1978 Honda CX500 didn't have them. My 1978 Yamaha XS1100E had an emergency lever in the tool kit. I needed it when half the diodes in my rectifier blew. Kick start an 1100cc motor a few times and you'll never long for a kick starter again.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
ah kickstarters. I miss them too. My '68 lightning and '73 superglide were kick only. Once you learned the superglide starting drill it was easy. In 5 years it rarely gave me problems.

Nortons, Beezers, Triumphs, Harleys were what you rode. Once in a while there was that weirdo on a BMW.

And setting points and timing, mechanical advances and Lucas electrics. Bikes are better now. But yeah a kick start would be fun. Well maybe for some of us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
electronic fuel injection requires a battery for start up.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Heck, I don't even enjoy kick starting my KDX. I let my son ride the KDX on the enduro trails the other day and I followed on the DRZ, and as much as I enjoy my 2 stroke, I got spoiled all over again using the little button on the right control pod. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
562 Posts
electronic fuel injection requires a battery for start up.
NO, not 100% true any more. Check out the new dirt bikes with EFI and NO BATTERY. But, as for street bikes, yes they need some power source to make the injectors pop during cranking.

·
Registered
562 Posts
In the past ___ years, since my '64 Honda 305 Super Hawk (which had both type starters), I have had my share of bikes with and without kick starters.

Truth be told...I don't miss them! And, it adds more than a little weight, it ads to the cost of the bike. Since MOST people don't want then anyway, why make the machine more expensive adding something that most will never use?

OH, and its not just the weight of the kick lever. Its internal parts, and the larger case and internal bracing to support it. Its not so simple a thing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
None of this is going to stop me, once I get my new Wee, from putting my foot on my virtual kickstarter pedal, jumping up and slamming it down...

and all the while be pressing the starter button in secret (maybe on the 2nd try to make it look more real ;))

if anyones laughing while doing this... I'll just give them the long stare and slowly ride away ...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
A "bump" start might be okay for a trail-bike [with carburettor].

But for something the weight of a V-Strom, I don't fancy a "run-and-jump" starting procedure when well & truly off-road (and alone).
Happy to pay extra for an optional kick-start, with of course a smallish lithium battery as backup for the ignition/fuel-injection. If only it were offered by Suzuki !!
Methinks it should be an option for any large-engined bike with even minor pretensions to off-road usage.
For Supersports, Harleys, and other purely road bikes ~ sure, no need to bother.

Many small scooters still have kickstart as a reserve backup for the "electric leg" starter ~ pity it's not available for "big scooters" too.
(Admittedly the auto-clutch on scooters does prevent push-to-start approach to the flat battery scenario.)

Ten years ago, I was camped (alone) in the wilderness : and in the bright cold morning, it was no-startum. This was a Guzzi-650 ~ about 50 lb lighter than a Wee, but still not much fun to get going.
Fortunately I was camped at the top of a hill (for the glorious 360 degree panorama) ~ also fortunately, the Guzzi at last fired-up just before the bottom of the hill. I remember the occasion well enough. I won't ever sneer at a back-up system for bike-starting : and I certainly give bonus points to any potential purchase that has it.
(Don't care whether the back-up system is kick-start, cord-pull, or wind-up clockwork thingie !!)

·
38,103 Posts
I won't ever sneer at a back-up system for bike-starting : and I certainly give bonus points to any potential purchase that has it.
(Don't care whether the back-up system is kick-start, cord-pull, or wind-up clockwork thingie !!)
Jumper cables.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Suzuki have an optional kickstarter kit for the DRZ400, and I have no desire to buy one for mine.

Jump starting works fine on the extremely rare occasion it won't start. If your offroad it just means you need to find a bigger hill to roll it down and use a taller gear to get it spinning without a compression lock-up.

But here's my tip. Don't go offroading by yourself. You'll end up dead and no-one will find you for years. It doesn't take much of an accident to get knocked out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Man, some of you guys are pussies :green_lol:

I've owned and daily drove multiple kick-only bikes, both 2 strokes and 4 strokes, and they're GREAT. Personally, I PREFER kick starters. They don't go bad! Dead battery? WHO CARES!? Plus, I'm pretty sure it makes you a badass :yesnod:

But of course, with fuel injected bikes, that doesn't quite work...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts