StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ridden the Old Nipissing Road?
Originally went from Rosseau to north of Comanda I believe.
Apparently parts are now gone or pretty much impassable but much still open.
Was through the Bear Cave road loop earlier this spring and didn't see where it. Cool little log church along the way there tho.
Hoping to run it this summer. Anybody any info?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Anybody ridden the Old Nipissing Road?
Originally went from Rosseau to north of Comanda I believe.
Apparently parts are now gone or pretty much impassable but much still open.
Was through the Bear Cave road loop earlier this spring and didn't see where it. Cool little log church along the way there tho.
Hoping to run it this summer. Anybody any info?
I don't know if it's passable now by Strom, it was passable 30 years ago by skidoo. Old Nipissing Road Trail- Ontario's Ghost Road

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Sounds like an adventure. Be sure and post a RR if you decide to stick your beak into it. Best of luck.:yesnod: Must have pics.

·
Registered
323 Posts
old Nippissing Road

Alot of the road is still very ridable with parts of it being maintained still ,their are some sections that have been made into a trail system for multi-use such as snowmobiles,hiking atv`s,motorcycle,horse ,whatever ....some of it gets to be pretty narrow but should be passable by a wee .. It has been a long time sense I have been down the entire lenght of the trail ... If you get too a tough section ,ther is usually a way around that you can hook back up with it and continue on ... good luck with your Quest .. If you wnat more info I may have a few friends that can help you out ...or I may be convinced to maybe meet -up somewhere to tag along ... Live in Nippissing ...

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
I just did a good chunk of it today. I didn't really find it fun on the Strom but could see it beign entertaining on a DR650 or similar.

Much more fun was to be found on the twisiteis I took getting up there.

With luck I'll post some pics tomorrow.

..Tom

ps: if you do ride it be very careful of the little "puddles" on low spots. One of them almost swallowed my Strom.. I was fortunate enough to jump off hte bike and stop it from falling over in the mud at the bottom of a foot of water. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did a good chunk of it today. I didn't really find it fun on the Strom but could see it beign entertaining on a DR650 or similar.

Much more fun was to be found on the twisiteis I took getting up there.

With luck I'll post some pics tomorrow.

..Tom

ps: if you do ride it be very careful of the little "puddles" on low spots. One of them almost swallowed my Strom.. I was fortunate enough to jump off hte bike and stop it from falling over in the mud at the bottom of a foot of water. :)
with all the rain this year it seems all the low spots are bike swallowers.
Hopefully things will dry up. Yup some great hardtop riding up there.
Which part did you run?

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
with all the rain this year it seems all the low spots are bike swallowers.
Hopefully things will dry up. Yup some great hardtop riding up there.
Which part did you run?
Here is the route I took (read from the bottom up):

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good info Vtom . Thanks
Old Nipissing road will have to wait till later.
Adirondaks, Vermont and a bit of New Hampshire first.

·
Registered
306 Posts
BTW, here are some pictures from my ride:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150642210700165.692602.701900164&l=d2bd2c7b2e

You should be able to see these even if you aren't on facebook.

The most fun was on the way there, here is part of a video of a Strom going through Southwood on the way up to the Nippising Trail:

YouTube - ‪south a.avi‬‏

..Tom
Good video Tom.
I think you need to come east with me for a day or two. I know some roads that will make southwood road seem like an AUTOBAHN.
They do not suck at all.
I'm still waiting for new tires, but if you find some time, let me know. We can start from my trailer( north of Tweed ) and go from there.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
gravel roads ?

You're gps must have finally developed the "gravel glitch" that has infected my Zumo for years.
Nice pics ... the last time I was in Commanda was in 1975.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
You're gps must have finally developed the "gravel glitch" that has infected my Zumo for years.
Nice pics ... the last time I was in Commanda was in 1975.
I've always ridden on gravel roads. Most days my commute home includes at least one gravel road. I just don't normally (I said normally!!!!) lead groups onto gravel when they are expecting paved roads. :)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Bump!

I was on my way home last night and there was some major construction on Hwy 11 well north of Huntsville, so I turned around and got off at the first exit which was Goreville Rd. Following my GPS, I ended up snaking my way over to the 520 (which in itself was a great paved road) which then brought me to where the Magnetawan lock is. The road there is Sparks road, which my GPS told me to take to get home. Sure enough it is the Old Nipissing road which I then led me to the #518 and down Ravenscliffe to Huntsville.

The section I did

The Old Nipissing Road was really dry and was incredible fun. No potholes, mud or water anywhere to speak of on this section of it. Lots of hills, turns and is totally manageable on a Strom. I was running full tire pressure and still found it to be a treat. There is a paved section (not referring to the 510) that starts with the Sparks road I mentioned and carries on for around 15k or so and then it turns to a mix of hard gravel followed by hard sand w/gravel for around another 15k.

I will have to go back and do the entire thing from start to finish one of these days. It was a great way to finish off a long ride and I would have done the whole thing but I was already really late because of the construction delays and wanted to get home before dark.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump!

I was on my way home last night and there was some major construction on Hwy 11 well north of Huntsville, so I turned around and got off at the first exit which was Goreville Rd. Following my GPS, I ended up snaking my way over to the 520 (which in itself was a great paved road) which then brought me to where the Magnetawan lock is. The road there is Sparks road, which my GPS told me to take to get home. Sure enough it is the Old Nipissing road which I then led me to the #518 and down Ravenscliffe to Huntsville.

The section I did

The Old Nipissing Road was really dry and was incredible fun. No potholes, mud or water anywhere to speak of on this section of it. Lots of hills, turns and is totally manageable on a Strom. I was running full tire pressure and still found it to be a treat. There is a paved section (not referring to the 510) that starts with the Sparks road I mentioned and carries on for around 15k or so and then it turns to a mix of hard gravel followed by hard sand w/gravel for around another 15k.

I will have to go back and do the entire thing from start to finish one of these days. It was a great way to finish off a long ride and I would have done the whole thing but I was already really late because of the construction delays and wanted to get home before dark.
Timely info Juan. Sounds like a good run.
Heading up through there to North Bay Thurs am for a 4 day backroads tour.
John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts