StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had two pairs of the Givi crash bars crack their welds where the front tube contects to the frame.

If you have a bike that vibrates around 5000 rpm I feel that most of the crash bars with longer lenghts of piping will eventually crack there welds.
Its just one big tuning fork. Try picking the bike up with the bar and see if the weld brakes or shows fatigue. You will not know if it is cracked unless you test it.

The only way to stop the vibration is to fill the bars with lead, but this is very impractical for how much tubing there is.

I use my highway pegs on the Givi bars and this is why I persist with this style. My feet rest just below the oil cooler, very comfy.

After rewelding the bars I put on a couple of tabs so I could mount a cross bar just below the fairing in front of the rad. The bars are solid now
and if the bike goes down it will be alot better in protecting the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Scooter, your post brings a question to mind. Is the cracked weld more common on the big Vee with it's bigger engine and power impulses or might it be a fairly even split between the Wee and the Vee ? I like that idea of the extra bar. Ride on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every bike is a little different in the frequences they put out.
I did not have as much problem with vibration on the DL1000 I owned. The 650 I have puts out a lot of vibes through the crash bars, but not as noticeable through the handle bars.
I own a SV1000S and the motor numbs my hands through the clip ons.
It would be great if Suzuki put a counter balancer in their V-twin motors.
The new 06 GSX-R comes with a counter balancer for the first time in the model.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts