StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think there is any

Shelf Life Problems

with fork oil, like the additive package eventually fades just from time.

I mean like decades mot months ?

My basement and looking at the dust at your local dealer

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Do you think there is any

Shelf Life Problems

with fork oil, like the additive package eventually fades just from time.

I mean like decades mot months ?

My basement and looking at the dust at your local dealer
I've used fork oil that was a few years old without issue, dunno about decades though. I suspect that as long as the container was sealed air-tight it would fine.

I'll stick a couple of bottles away, remind me in 15 years to break them out. :)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Oil in a sealed, intact container will not deteriorate for hundreds of years.

The real question is whether fork oils have improved significantly in the meantime. I strongly suspect fork oil manufactured in 2011 is a much improved product over fork oil from 1986, and therefore worth the small added investment.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The old-time Harley mechanics referred to old fork oil as "fish oil." It stank...really stank. When they dumped the oil from my '77 FXS forks it cleared the room.

Unless the container is hermetically sealed, it's hard to imagine that some water wouldn't condense into the fluid eventually. Or that the additives would break down or separate.

My opinion (I'm not an expert): the stuff is cheap; why not use something you know is good?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well back years ago the Japanese fork oil was processed oil from fish not petroleum.

It is a good lubricant but can develop bacteria or fungus etc.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have enough Belray 10 wt and some Yamaha 10wt to boot

It pisses me of that synthetic is such a rip off.

I am going to stick my head in the local shop now on its way out and see what they have

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Harley forks are largely made by Showa of Japan. Japanese forks did use fish oil for many years.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Then again

I expect it is the oxygen in the air that deteriorates fork oil. And the bottles are probably not made from the super-impermeable type of plastic. So over time the bottle will allow oxygen in. Doubt it is an issue within a couple of years. But I wouldn't use 30-year-old stuff. And yes, before you ask, I have a couple of old bottles (for show) hanging around the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts