StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the (somewhat lack-luster) reviews of the new 650 and I flipped through all the photos, just like everyone else has. I am ticked-pink to see the addition of the gear position, and wish I had it on my 09. I also like the dash layout a bit better than all the previous year editions. However, I don't really like the physical 'look' of this new Strom. The gas tank in particular is what strikes me as 'odd'. I like the big, over-blown, hulking tank that we've become accustomed too. The new slimmer profile just looks a bit lost to me. Smaller, thinner, a bit too narrow... I dunno, maybe its me.

Maybe I am just grasping at straws here. And perhaps I am a bit biased towards the (now) older Strom edition, but is anyone else not overly thrilled with the new look of the Strom?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Interesting. The very few riding reviews have been pretty darn good, not lackluster. The initial non-riding articles and commentary were definitely negative. I'm taking a wait and see on the matter, pending full riding reviews. Motorrad's would be one of the best.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think its a nice update, aside from the cartoony cheshire cat eyes, which probably can be remedied with something like the speedstar protectors. It definitely takes a leap in the "details" and here is to hoping that the fit/finish is a little nicer than the older ones. Its not enough for an immediate replacement, but when my 07 falls apart, I'll go look for a used one :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Your right it must be you. I for one find the new one a lot better looking. To each his own I guess. If I was out looking today for a replacement it would be between the New Strom and the new Tiger 800 Standard. A lot will depend on price, hope they don't raise it too much. If it gets too close to the Tiger I would go with that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't know what lackluster reviews you've been reading. Everyone that has ridden the bike seems to like it. I've read a few negative commentaries from the peanut gallery that haven't even sat on it yet. I like the new look but the way it looks really doesn't make a difference to me.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nope

Don't like it either. The tank has a smaller capacity which makes no sense to me. Give me a good six gallons please I like to ride all day on my adventures.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Park it beside the new Super Tenere and you can't help but find it better looking. Now that is one ugly bike. I saw one the other day and found it even uglier in person. Don't get me wrong - I am sure I would be thrilled with the performance, but why did Yamaha tack on the those ridiculous and cheap looking big black plastic covers on each side? I don't mean to change the subject. I like the looks of the new Strom very much.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
If anything, I like the newer look a little better. Doesn't matter much, they're both ugly. :)

On a side note, why all the love for a gear indicator?? If the revs are too low, downshift, if they're too high, upshift. And if you just have to know the number, a quick glance at the tack and speedo ought to tell you. What am I missing?? :confused:

·
Registered
292 Posts
On a side note, why all the love for a gear indicator?? If the revs are too low, downshift, if they're too high, upshift. And if you just have to know the number, a quick glance at the tack and speedo ought to tell you. What am I missing?? :confused:
Yeah, I agree. Maybe its due to all the searching for that phantom 7th gear. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I don't know what lackluster reviews you've been reading. Everyone that has ridden the bike seems to like it. I've read a few negative commentaries from the peanut gallery that haven't even sat on it yet. //.
Those the same ones who think the S10 is the best evah because they have sat on it?

Seems like Suzuki will have to implement a test-sit program.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The dilemma is that humans have a shape

Practical suspensions leave a lot of air

Little sh*t kids Know what a cool bike look likes

Little sh*t kids don't know how they might actually use the bike assuming they are not just posers.

reconcile

·
Registered
391 Posts
I actually made the choice to buy a new 2011 than wait for the 2012. I like the look of the "old style" and certainly like the larger tank. Even the dealer thought making a smaller tank was a mistake. I know they said its lighter and more efficient. Its getting 56 miles to the gallon! Whats the new one going to get? I also liked the proven background of the current model and all the availble farkles. The new model asthetically does nothing for me and I didn't want to lose a summer waiting for a possible release date. Changing to a 16T rear sprocket has lowered .the rpms sufficiently where I'm no longer looking for another gear. I'm enjoying this bike more than any other bike I've owned. Now, if they got the seat right on the newer model, that would be a great improvement. Otherwise, I'm happy I got the "old style".:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I like it, and would definitely own one. Hate that they teased me with my favorite color (white), and then decided not to send them to the USA.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I like the big old tank because it gives very good wet weather protection with those wide tank-side plastics. I haven't seen a top-down pic of the new model, but if the front is slimmer then it's wet knees coming up. It's been raining here for a week and I bought a half-faired 1250S Bandit the other day. Took it out today for a 100km run and my gear was wet from head to foot; came home and took the Wee out and didn't get a drop on me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as looks go, 'Stroms haven't ever won many (if any) beauty contests that I know of. AT bikes in general are made to be workhorses & not show ponies. I like the utilitarian looks of pretty much all the AT bike brands out there, past & present. To each his own.
The new 'Strom has created a lot more buzz in the motorcycle world than I would have thought. A few weeks ago I saw a small write-up in Road Racing World mag of all places. Not really a review but a description of the new 'Strom. Yesterday I got the latest issue of Rider mag in the mail. The cover didn't mention the V-strom but a few pages in was a short article/description about the new bike. Again not an actual review. The article listed the various changes that Suzuki made to the bike & although some really interested me, lighter, smoother, mid-range torque, etc. some things concerned me or made me think "big deal". I don't care about a gear indicator, kinda nice to have but I personally don't care. My old Beemer had it so not a big deal to me. The article also stated the the new 'Strom had a "road-freeze" warning. A what??? What is that? Other changes that kind of concerned me is in an effort to reduce the weight of the bike Suzuki has replaced the aluminum rear rack & passenger grab handles with a "resin" type. They have reduced the amount of painted surface with "more rugged black plastic". Not sure yet if these are good things. Hopefully they will prove to be more durable & cheaper to replace if necessary.
I hope Suzuki didn't "cheapen" our beloved machine with cheap plastic but has truly made some positive improvements. I am anxious to read actual ride reports & hopefully do one myself in the near future.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Don't like it either. The tank has a smaller capacity which makes no sense to me. Give me a good six gallons please I like to ride all day on my adventures.
It has a 32 bit ECU, which should keep the fuel range up there, if not improve it. Same for HP.

FWIW, I got 59.3xxxx MPG on a No-Ethanol fillup in Grand Falls, NB last weekend. The following tank (same kind of riding) yielded 53.xxx MPG.

I *will* be buying one, but have no plans so far to sell the '07.

·
Registered
487 Posts
new one looks slicker

I think the new one looks pretty cool, the dash is nice and the plastic looks good too, too bad they didnt included an adjustable windscreen mount

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have some concerns about the higher seat on the 2012. I have to confess that I have only sat on the 650 V Strom, a 2010, but was on my tip toes. In any case I like the looks of both and the lighter weight of the 2012 should help too.

Earl

1 - 20 of 57 Posts