StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . or into it!

I currently have several bikes:
2003 Honda GL1800 -- touring machine for the misses and me...
2001 Honda XR650R--street legal, but still a bit on the 'wild side' -- romping and dirt--y machine
a broke down KLR650 will fix the engine and sell soon... -- going away machine
a Yamy TW200 -- just for the F of it! It's way more fun than it has a right to be...

AND

my 2003 V Strom (1000cc--for the not knowers) -- my primary commuter and off on a trip without a passenger machine (hurts her knees--she looks like a queen on the 'wing)!

I have a real bad itch for the new bike!

I DO NOT NEED IT!
IT IS A WANT THING...
I'll finance it @ 0%, it won't be a financial burden, etc...
There's nothing really wrong with my current Vee. It's well set up. The suspension's been re-done and works great for me, Corbin saddle, Pelican toploaders, C-stand, etc.
I'll remove some of the other accessories that I've added and move them to the other bike -- IF AND WHEN . . .
I mentioned to a coworker that I was thinking about buying the new one, and he already told me that he'd buy it, he's ridden it before and wanted it then.

Now it's your turn!

Tell me why!

Tell me why NOT!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Did all the paperwork today on mine, got my new plate, will pick it up in the morning.

Not a thing wrong with my '07 at 61k miles -- there's still a plate on that one too, and my KLX250. My K75 has no plate on it, nor does my C70 Honda.

Did I convince you yet?

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Do it for the economy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's a different V-Strom

Not going to try to talk you out of it.

Picked new Orangsicle II up a week ago after selling my 2009 Orangesicle I with only 14000 miles and lots of farkles.

Orangsicle II is a very different bike. From everything from the look (tougher) to the brakes (more sure) to the seating position (lower) to the improved low end power band (sweet!).

Though only 115 miles since picking Orangesicle II up (the weather just has not cooperated) -- I'm in love all over again. :yesnod: The only thing I don't care for is the butt busting seat they put on these things (not sure where they put the extra padding claimed). After only about 70 miles on my first day, I was cramping up.

One other pet peeve - Motorcycle speedometers :thumbdown: ('nuf said!)

Doing my part to help the economy,

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Had an 08 650, sold it, totaled my 07 Vee in September, picked up the new one last month, and really, really like it. Suzuki did a great job of improving an already nice bike. And, although I had the Vee set up pretty well for touring, I'm enjoying setting this one up too, a little differently, with some lessons learned on the others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope to pick my 2012 up from the suzuki shop in GP tomorrow. I bought the third that Joe received in the shipment. Rain or shine if the recall part arrives I will pick up the bike.

Not sure I will have it broken in enough (by Wednesday morning) to ride to Sacramento for the rest of the week for work, but I am going to try. A hundred miles and an oil change will help, then I will need to take it relatively easy on i5 headed south. Not babying, but not flogging it either.

With my desire to start piling the miles onto my new bike I doubt I am the best source of advice, but I say get the bike you want. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
2012, a glee?
Talk you into it you say? I don't need to.
Talk you out of it? You won't be riding your vee anymore.

Seems like you have long-distance, fun and tinkering covered in your stable.
Now all you need is a bike that does everything. You have that in the vee, but you're lusting after something new, so it doesn't do THAT.

Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Can't talk you out of it. But I can offer some sexy alternatives.

Aprilia Mana 850
Ducati Monster 796
Triumph Tiger 800

The Mana 850 has a CVT tranny and seems a blast to ride. 90 degree v-twin. Slightly dissapointed in the dyno charts though if what I saw was right (which I don't think it was).

Ducati Monster 796 will get you scooting down the road nicely and is also a a twin, albeit "L". HP and torque numbers seem zippy.

Triumph tiger 800 ... yeah, that's prolly a future stablemate for my Wee.

Everytime I look at bikes, I fall in love with them. Pretty much every bike except true crotch rockets (nakeds and motards are lovely though). Then I ride my Wee and think "there can be only one". Yeah. The Wee is it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Tell me why NOT!

Because for the rest of your life, you will be haunted by the realization that you stepped down from a manly 1000cc machine to a...how to put it politely...a 650.

Besides, you'll be killed trying to blast through a hole in traffic that the Vee could easily handle but the Wee cannot.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I had never ridden a 650 either, until I went to the DR.
While in the DR, I was 2-up almost exclusively.
Never had a problem with acceleration, but we weren't doing USA highway speeds either!

It seemed that the 650 would do whatever I needed it to. They were south America bikes with no cat and likely a few other minor differences.
If the, dare I say it, GLEE has better characteristics than the Wee then I don't really see a problem.

The mpg sure wouldn't bother me either...

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Because for the rest of your life, you will be haunted by the realization that you stepped down from a manly 1000cc machine to a...how to put it politely...a 650.

Besides, you'll be killed trying to blast through a hole in traffic that the Vee could easily handle but the Wee cannot.
I'm pretty sure something's wrong with you, but I can't figure it out. PLease tick the appropriate box(es):
_ You've never ridden a 650. (edit: I see you have religious issues that prevent that; I'd step away from the kool-aid if I were you)
_ You are insecure about your sexuality.
_ You forgot to take your meds.

;)

Seriously, the wee can do everything the vee does. The only real-world differences are that on the wee, you go down two gears instead of one and that it's smoother and cheaper on gas.

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
could easily handle but the Wee cannot

I haven't had that problem yet. Do it because you have the need to ask.
Don't die wondering!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
'blasting thru traffic'......? Blasting? Who really has that as a riding philosophy?

I try to avoid such gambles.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

The V-strom 1000 is the least of what you call the manly 1000's... Even my lowly, paltry 600cc, non manly FZ6 will out perform the V-stom 1000... If you want a real 1000... then chuck the v-strom 1k and buy something else...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have a real bad itch for the new bike!I DO NOT NEED IT!
Buy a bottle of calamine lotion instead of the bike.:mrgreen:

I was never a happier motorcyclist as when I reduced my stable of four bikes down to a single Wee. On any given day three of the four were looking at me plaintively and wondering why they were being neglected. A man's conscience can only take so much.

If you and the missus (or Mrs. -- never "misses," which is what you experience when you hit on cute waitresses and they spurn your advances) do much two-up touring you definitely need the 'Wing, and if you ride in the dirt a lot I guess a little thumper is nice to have -- but ONE OTHER all-purpose bike should be more than enough.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts

Because of all the starving and homeless; because of the recall/ first year gremlins on the Glee, because of what kenneth moore said. :biggrinjester:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts