Strom Trooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..if I can find one to test drive. I currently ride a '99 DR350SE and had narrowed my next bike down to either a Versys or a V-Strom. Well, I test rode a 2011 Versys this past weekend and that thing had a "buzz" about it during certain revs under acceleration that I didn't like...felt like I had a sack of bumblebees in my britches.
Once again, another perfect example of the importance of taking a test ride on any bike you intend to purchase. At one time I also had my sights set on a Triumph Tiger 955i...until I rode one.

So, please tell me the V-Strom is smoother than the Versys and that they don't come with a hive of bees installed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
..if I can find one to test drive. I currently ride a '99 DR350SE and had narrowed my next bike down to either a Versys or a V-Strom. Well, I test rode a 2011 Versys this past weekend and that thing had a "buzz" about it during certain revs under acceleration that I didn't like...felt like I had a sack of bumblebees in my britches.
Once again, another perfect example of the importance of taking a test ride on any bike you intend to purchase. At one time I also had my sights set on a Triumph Tiger 955i...until I rode one.

So, please tell me the V-Strom is smoother than the Versys and that they don't come with a hive of bees installed.
No promises! :green_lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The DL650 (with stock exhaust ) is one of the smoothest motorcycles I've ever ridden.
Go ride it and decide.
If there is a hive in there it's filled with bees buzzing in smooth unison of a string quartet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
there's a sweetly priced '12 wee for sale on the board in eastern ky. just an fyi. no affiliation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 09 Versys before trading it for my Vee. The Vee and Wee are most certainly smoother than the Versys. Still, ride before you buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to echo the statements of others regarding the smoothness of the Wee's motor. I just moved to a Wee from a Versys. When I had the Versys, I did not think it was all that buzzy. But then I rode the Wee, and I have to say it is a remarkable difference. It's also a bigger bike, and feels even nicer out on the open road.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
I have never ridden the Versys, but , if you are western NC, you can shoot over here and ride mine anytime....I'm less than 2 hrs from Ashville.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tne Versys is much lighter and sportier than the Wee. The Wee feels like a 1000cc size bike when compared to the Versys. Yes, the Versy is a bit buzzy . . . Foam hand grips and a sheep skin seat cover will cut the vibes. The Versys suspension is much harsher than the Wee. I ran it as soft as possible.

I prefer the 90 degree Wee twin over the in-line twin. It would be nice to have a Versys size and weight . . . with the Wee engine and improved suspension.

I tried to make my V into a Wee . . . 17" X 19" spokes etc. . . . It slowed the steering too much for my liking . . . Handled much better with a 17" front . . . and was too tall.

I really have no issues with Wee's . . . Just a bit heavy.

The CB5X is a very smooth ride . . . You have to shift more often:
Again . . . Felt under powered when compared to a Wee:

·
Registered
14 Posts
White is the fastest color. Scientifically proven.... :green_lol: No color pigment wind resistance. And, the finest looking color, IMHO. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I just got my 4th Wee a month ago. 2 of my riding buddy's got Glee in December. Very happy with them. And last week I found a 2013 Glee Expedition for my other friend and we picked it up today. Already happy and already got few complements (even for women)....

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I swapped bikes with a Versys rider, on the roads we were on (sealed but feral) the DL was 20kph faster than the Versys with either rider on the bikes.

The Versys turns a bit quicker but just doesn't have the 'meh, who cares' survivability of the DL.

Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts