StromTrooper banner

Ok, I'm gonna have to say it

16954 Views 121 Replies 67 Participants Last post by  bureaucrat
My weestrom is a bit...well...boring to me a bit. It does most everything well and I do enjoy it. But I must admit it just lacks 2 things: 1-low end grunt 2-soul. I'll admit that I test rode a 2011 harley road king classic and loved it for those 2 things mentioned. I just loved the way the bike had that mean sound and was fun to toss around too. I think I'm gonna rent a few more and see if I wanna splurge for one ....also looking at a used V2K...a lot cheaper than the HD obviously but maybe too big. I dunno I may just keep my Wee for pure dollar to value reasons too. I can't have both as my Blackbird will stay put for the occasional need for speed. Didn't mean to diss the Wee at all. Just venting a bit as I need something to do as my fiance is torturing me with True Blood on the TV :( God do I HATE vampire shows.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Fully understand. I like my little 650 Strom a LOT. But... Sometimes a different bike is called for. Of the HD's, I like the Road King the best. Someday my wife and I might use one for touring. Ya never know.

Right now the Wee does what I want. I do like the intrepid character of the sturdy little rascal.

· Registered
729 Posts
I had a HD Road King Classic and it was sooooo veryyyyy boring and almost put me and my wife in the hospital because it can't carry the load long term. We made a trip to the East coat and started at about 2 hours before we required a break. After that, the time that we required to take a break to revive our road tired butt was reduced to a point where we needed to get off that instrument of torture before 45 minutes because we were about to DIE.

I traded the HD for a Goldwing that was a wonderful road bike but WE never rode it so I trade that for my Wee.

To be fair, I have yet to tour on my Wee but I have miles of smiles so far. I have dreams of a big tour on my Wee but don't expect my wife to join me so that won't be an issue.

I like the variety of riding styles that my Wee provided that my HD didn't allow. I am soooo glad to not have to ride that monster again. But, to each his own, and I believe that everyone needs to cross that bridge and try a HD to know the experience.

You'll find yourself wishing for a Wee/Vee again and there's nothing wrong with that. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

· Registered
262 Posts
Get a 14 T front sprocket and an exhaust... should solve your grunt and soul issues. The sprocket alone takes the wee to another level of fun.... Driven Road Kings before, and while torquey and loud, etc etc.. i find it waaay more boring than my vstrom. Just my .02 :thumbup:

· Premium Member
407 Posts
Its a well known fact that every man should have a least three motorcycles....

Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

The best combination I've found (in a lifetime of searching) is: Honda XL185. DL650, BMW R100RS and a Yamaha Kodiak (which is a four wheeler so strictly speaking doesn't count - or so I tell the wife).
:yikes:

· Welfare Funder
382 Posts
Get a 14 T front sprocket and an exhaust... should solve your grunt and soul issues. The sprocket alone takes the wee to another level of fun.... Driven Road Kings before, and while torquey and loud, etc etc.. i find it waaay more boring than my vstrom. Just my .02 :thumbup:
Got my 14T from Blaine. Installing this weekend I hope!

· Premium Member
530 Posts
Lot to be said for boring and reliable. You'll learn, eventually.

Bill H.
And to this I'll add...

The bike is an inanimate object, no matter which brand or style it may be. It is YOU that has to add to "grunt" and "soul" to the ride.
Sounds like you need a road trip to a new and exciting destination to put the joy back in your riding. :yesnod:

· Registered
211 Posts
And to this I'll add...

The bike is an inanimate object, no matter which brand or style it may be. It is YOU that has to add to "grunt" and "soul" to the ride.
Sounds like you need a road trip to a new and exciting destination to put the joy back in your riding. :yesnod:
:hurray: Great thought!

· Registered
43 Posts
My weestrom is a bit...well...boring to me
It's all about the ride for me.... The motorcycle is not that important! I purchased my WEE because it makes the best primary motorcycle to drive daily.

San Diego and Atlanta are alot alike. I am never bored on the bike, it's like a chess match, watching out for the CAGERS next move that will checkmate me. I had to travel a different way home this week because 2 bikers were killed on 285 where I work! I have seen alot of bikers hurt, and some that have lost there life living here in Atlanta.

It's never boring, be careful out there......

WD

· Registered
984 Posts
Yep

And to this I'll add...

You got that right! It's not about the bike. The bike is just a tool and the V-Strom is a very capable tool like the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles.

· Registered
64 Posts
Ive been down the HD road twice before. I will never go back!! The bikes sound good and have a certain something, but thats where it ends. For low maint and fun the Zuk or any other in the ADV tour category have alot more to offer. Just my .02 cents.

· Registered
262 Posts
Every motorcycle has it's own personality, and you just have to find the one that fits you the best. I love the Wee but I can understand how someone may want to ride a noisy vibrating torquer that feels more like a locomotive than a quiet and smooth 90 degree high revving 650 cc twin engine with perfect primary balance that feels more like a 4 cylinder bike.

· Registered
187 Posts
I just switched from an 07 Vulcan Nomad to my Vee. Loved the Vulcan Nomad (you might check it out) but wanted something a bit lighter, able to go on the occasional dirt/gravel road, AND better seating position for my back. But, to each his own. Check out those Nomads . . .

· Registered
486 Posts
just got back into motorcycling and bought my 04 wee used, but every time I ride it, it makes me smile on how nice of ride it gives. I have been on a Harley and that was nice but not going to break the bank for a bike. enjoy your bike.

· Registered
38 Posts
Well thanks to this site and everyones input I bought dl650 last year and drove 15000kms.
I look at the Harleys with and other cruisers and love the looks. To tell you the truth its been a love hate relationship until this year. Now I have a Sergeant seat, madstat, givi and did the handle bar risers. Wow! now it makes me really smile.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.