StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first oil change on my 04 DL650, as I get it ready for winter. I picked up a filter yesterday, some seafoam for the tank, I'll clean it up and swap it with the snowblower, and put a battery tender on it. Because of the other stuff that will be piled in front of the bike, it will likely sit undisturbed until the first robin arrives. This Strom has about 12000kms on it and in my hands I anticipate about 4000kms/year.

Now, without stirring up a monstrous best-oil debate, when I walk into Canadian Tire tomorrow, what do you recommend for brand and grade of oil?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oil

This will be my first oil change on my 04 DL650, as I get it ready for winter. I picked up a filter yesterday, some seafoam for the tank, I'll clean it up and swap it with the snowblower, and put a battery tender on it. Because of the other stuff that will be piled in front of the bike, it will likely sit undisturbed until the first robin arrives. This Strom has about 12000kms on it and in my hands I anticipate about 4000kms/year.

Now, without stirring up a monstrous best-oil debate, when I walk into Canadian Tire tomorrow, what do you recommend for brand and grade of oil?
I've been riding bikes for 32 years and working on them for 30 and this is what I do. I use a motorcycle specific oil in the weight specified by the manufacturer for my specific model and fill it right to the top of the filler hole for the winter and install a fresh filter. In the spring I drain the storage oil and replace it with the correct amount of the same weight oil and another fresh filter. Never ever had a problem of any kind in all that time so I will continue to use this technigue. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Not wanting to get into a big debate re oil, but if its Canuck Tire you are getting your oil, I recommend the AmsOil. I have been using it in my Wee almost exclusively since the 6K mark. I actually use the PowerSports 0W-40.

Thats my .02 and you shall hear no more....:weapons_90:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I've reviewed your postings and the Big Oil thread. I declare this thread officially dead, and I'll see what's on the shelf at crappy tire on the way home

1 - 5 of 5 Posts