StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site seeing I just bought a New 2011 wee...I have been riding for 44 years and have had 25 BMW bikes and just about everything else under the sun. Suzuki has 10-40 oil use for the wee...can I run 20-50 ?weather here in New England is 40 - to 90 in the summer...I dont see how 20-50 could hurt...And also any oil manufactures that seem to be the best for the wee...I :confused:have always used Golden spectro...20- 50 in every BMW i have owned...Thanks ridefast99

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
I certainly hope that wasn't taken as giving him crap. If it was, I'd appreciate some tips on how to get the information out there in a friendlier way but not have oil threads all over the place.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I certainly hope that wasn't taken as giving him crap. If it was, I'd appreciate some tips on how to get the information out there in a friendlier way but not have oil threads all over the place.
Sorry GW, I was just wondering for the OP.... (you were not being offensive in any way). I know he is new here, but owning that many bikes he has to of been on other forums (BMW?). So surely (he) everyone knows about asking oil questions on car/bike forums....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a holes

I can see that I'll be dealing with A-Holes on this site. All you super riders ...I bet I have more miles looking in my mirrors then most of you have looking forward...Ridefast99

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can see that I'll be dealing with A-Holes on this site. All you super riders ...I bet I have more miles looking in my mirrors then most of you have looking forward...Ridefast99
Welcome, but calm down - Grey Wolf is definitely not an asshole. Hang around a while and you'll see he's a valuable source of information.

Speaking of the big oil thread, why isn't there a sticky for it at the top of this forum? Would probably be more useful than some of the ones that are there.

Finally: 10w40 is plenty fine, 20w50 is unnecesary - the bike is liquid cooled and runs pretty much the same temperature regardless of ambient temperature. Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic is popular with a lot of people - it's relatively cheap, fairly readily available, and seems to work well.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Funny thing about A-Holes, they come in all flavors. From those of us who have been around a while to brand new members with only a couple of posts. Greywolf isn't one of them.

·
Administrator
17,504 Posts
There is another Vstrom site.......feel free to go there. How dare you ask about oil, you should know better than that, and you have been riding for 44 years for crying out loud.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I am new to this site seeing I just bought a New 2011 wee...I have been riding for 44 years and have had 25 BMW bikes and just about everything else under the sun. Suzuki has 10-40 oil use for the wee...can I run 20-50 ?weather here in New England is 40 - to 90 in the summer...I dont see how 20-50 could hurt...And also any oil manufactures that seem to be the best for the wee...I :confused:have always used Golden spectro...20- 50 in every BMW i have owned...Thanks ridefast99
I never like the oil/tire thread policy here, who n' heck wants to sift thru 50 pages of irrelivent nonsense, I expecially dislike the policy on tires, technology changes, tires become obsolete on a 2-5 year cycle the linked threads are older than that

back to yer specific question, I run 20w50 in my XV920R, but, its air cooled, I don't see the point in a liquid cooled engine, oil temps remain much more constant

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I lost my head, I know to beemer folk, that motorcycling is a very serious business.

Your right I have only been doing this for 43 years

·
Registered
489 Posts
:argue:
All oil posts must be discussed at http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-farkles/30068-big-oil-thread.html
It's a forum rule. The answers are already there anyway. All About Motor Oil is also a good source.

Not sure how someone could have said this any nicer. Maybe I don't agree with the rule, but a rule it is and if the above is how it is policed, then it is hard to say anything, but "thanks for letting me know and heading me in the right direction."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Vstrom Ry ,,, When I made my coment in was refering to Canadian FZ6,,,,I have read Greywolfs posts before and I can tell hes a great well seasoned rider...Thanks for the info ( OIL TOPICS WILL BE OFF LIMITS FOR ME IN THE FUTURE... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I understand the oil rule but I have to say I spent a day reading that thread just to find out which oil to avoid out of the limited options I had at the time. This is a great community but once a thread or list of threads get so large it becomes a pain to find specific info even with a search. if it was just an information repository it would work better but threads can go off topic way too easy.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I understand the oil rule but I have to say I spent a day reading that thread just to find out which oil to avoid out of the limited options I had at the time. This is a great community but once a thread or list of threads get so large it becomes a pain to find specific info even with a search. if it was just an information repository it would work better but threads can go off topic way too easy.
If all of the oil noise was not in one thread there would STILL be 372+ posts pertaining to it but it would be scattered through several dozen separate threads. Then people would be complaining that they couldn't find their answer because they had to go through so many separate topics. Same thing for tires, same thing for windscreens and buffeting.

The guys that merged all those topics into one went to a lot of effort to do so, and for their efforts all they get is a lot of complaints and gripes. Personally I feel that a topic AREA for tires, oil, and windscreens would be better but at least this way people only have to search through one thread.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Speaking of the big oil thread, why isn't there a sticky for it at the top of this forum? Would probably be more useful than some of the ones that are there.

I didn't know there was a, "Big Oil Thread", until Greywolf pointed it out...I to wonder why it's not a sticky because I sure looked for it.

·
38,103 Posts
It is a sticky in this forum, general V-Strom discussion. I don't know what you guys are looking at. There is more chaff than wheat in oil discussions. The rule is to keep chaff from flying all over the forum. Use the Google search box at the center of the page near the top. It works fine. There are far too many posts for the built in search function to properly index. If you want specific information on an oil subject, you are not required to find it. Ask it for the umpteenth time but ask it in the big oil thread. That's how it got big. There aren't many new questions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only way I can think of to improve this is to throw the word "please" in there somewhere. It's free, and can soothe ruffled feathers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.