StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I bought a V-Strom 650 and it is a used one (2020 ), almost brand new. The previous owner used a 5W-30 oil (Castrol GTX 5W30 Conventional Motor Oil). Can I continue to use the same oil or I need to use a 10W-40 Oil. I live in Toronto, Canada
Ingredient Liquid Font Bottle Logo

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd buy a JASO certified motorcycle oil of the manufacturers designated viscosity.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Here is a link to 159 pages of Stromtroopers discussing oil.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I believe Suzuki still specifies 10W-40 for 650s as they did in 2017 and it's the same engine now. I personally use a full synthetic oil, but it is not required by Suzuki. But be sure that the oil has the MA2 designation on the label, regardless of the brand. Most all motorcycle-specific motor oils now carry this designation. This is a standard for friction in transmissions with wet (oiled) multiplate clutches.

Liquid Blue Automotive tire Fluid Personal care

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Important point. Cars use dry clutches so can have more friction modifiers in the oil than the wet motorcycle clutches will tolerate.

So you need to use a motorcycle specific oil or at least one that's specified for wet clutches.

I suspect that what the PO used and what you show don't meet those requirements.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
@vivek901 -- From what I've read here, you want to avoid the oil you reference in the original post's image. The product sheet indicates it is a 'resource conserving" (aka "energy conserving") oil, which includes stuff you don't want. It also doesn't match the specs noted in the owners manual.

Your 2017 DL650 owners manual states the following -- I'd use something that matches these specs:

Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
120 Posts
As a fellow Canuck I can recommend and use the pit-box-kit from Suzuki. it includes the oil, filter and oil drain plug washer, all you need for an oil change. It is available with either synthetic or mineral oil. The price, for me at least ends up being cheaper than buying all items separately. you can order directly from Suzuki.ca or get it at the dealer. The shipping price is only a few extra dollars and arrives in a couple days. At the dealer they charge the same price as Suzuki when they have the kit on-hand which is rare in my case. I personally only use synthetic and as a side note Suzuki only suggest changing the filter every 3rd time but I end up doing it almost every time.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Previous owner is a douche nozzle of the highest order.
Buying second hand bike from an owner that did oil changes; "ALWAYS ON TIME" 😂 :rolleyes:

...I heard in Greece some use OLIVE oil 🛢 😀

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Castrol GTX 5W30 . It is not energy conserving so it does not have friction modifiers. The difference between 10W and 5W is very minor.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Castrol GTX 5W30 . It is not energy conserving so it does not have friction modifiers. The difference between 10W and 5W is very minor.
@dravnx ...you are not using automotive oils in your airplanes and vice-versa, are you? :oops:😉

Reactions: Philbytx

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
836 Posts
It's not the low (cold) end I'm concerned with. Suzuki specifies 40 weight on the warm end.

I run 15w40 because I have a lot of it and my motorcycle lives in a heated garage, so the cold end matters even less in my circumstance.

I have no complaints about fuel economy. I routinely get 54-55 mpg without baggage and 49-51 mpg with 3 hefty panniers and all the gear.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Does it meet motorcycle spec for anything?

n 10W and 5W is very minor. uh, ten minus five.... half

...if it got me home on a rainy night

Broad rule of thumb for oil by numbers. Low number is what it is. Bigger number is what it behaves like when it's hot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Previous owner is a douche nozzle of the highest order.
OP, this (quoted text) is a very salient point, if previous owner was dumb enough to use car oil in a wet clutch motorcycle, who knows what other stupid thing he did to it before selling it to you. If I were you, I'd change all of the fluids and go over the bike complete checking for stupid fixes and mystery mods.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
@dravnx ...you are not using automotive oils in your airplanes and vice-versa, are you? :oops:😉
Not even worth answering.
There is nothing special about "motorcycle oil". If the oil you are using meets the man'f specs, it is good. There are many automotive oils that meet Suzuki's specification.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Not even worth answering.
There is nothing special about "motorcycle oil". If the oil you are using meets the man'f specs, it is good. There are many automotive oils that meet Suzuki's specification.
Last time I checked;
Motorcycle oils don't contain friction modifiers, and car oils do.

But what does Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, know about motor oils :rolleyes: they are just trying to take our money recommending "motorcycle oils"

Reactions: TinMan88

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Last time I checked;
Motorcycle oils don't contain friction modifiers, and car oils do.

But what does Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, know about motor oils :rolleyes: they are just trying to take our money recommending "motorcycle oils"
Canned peas meet spec, so they're good.
Not all automotive oils contain friction modifiers. Facts, they're important.
Please provide the canned peas that meet spec. I'll put them in my motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think we found the owner of the OP's Vstrom 😉
@dravnx uses the same oil for ALL engines, transmissions, bikes, chains, gearboxes...."Dad I am going to Wallmart, do you need [email protected]: "sure son get me a case of "Universal motor oil"
😂:):oops:

• Wow
Reactions: TinMan88
1 - 20 of 30 Posts