StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil this morning and I filled it to exactly the top line on the site glass using the center stand. Now after a 240mile run it's showing quite a bit higher and filling the whole site glass. Is this normal?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Oil doesn't appear from nowhere. Using the center stand will make the proper amount appear too high. For the best measurement, both tires should be on level ground with the bike held vertically. I like the center stand myself but I know the level should be at the top of the glass in that configuration.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both times I used the center stand though. All I can think of is that the oil somehow expanded after an all day run in 90 deg weather. I'll check again once it's cool to see if it goes back down to the fill line.

·
Registered
710 Posts
This motor originated in the TL models, and it is well documented that prolonged idling when cold will cause gas to wash past the rings and into the oil sump. I haven't heard of this issue with the SVs or VStroms, but it stands to reason it could happen. Pop your oil fill cap and see if you detect any fuel vapors.

·
Registered
865 Posts
This motor originated in the TL models, and it is well documented that prolonged idling when cold will cause gas to wash past the rings and into the oil sump. I haven't heard of this issue with the SVs or VStroms, but it stands to reason it could happen. Pop your oil fill cap and see if you detect any fuel vapors.
After the OP's 240 miles ride, I'd think that any fuel would have evaporated off.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I let it cool and the oil level went back down to the max line, Anyhow I have now drained a bit off to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you aren't carefully monitoring the exact amount you are putting in but want to be fairly precise you could start the engine when you are near proper capacity...in order to fill the oil filter...then shut down...wait 10 minutes and complete your fill to the upper line.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I found it was pretty easy to overfill when I did my 600 mile service. I ended up needing to let a bit back out.

I did indeed start it up and let it cycle for a few and then let it settle back down before the final fill.

I found just about 2 3/4 quarts filled it properly, with filter change. 3 would be too much. The local dealer (not my purchase dealer) said I needed 3+ quarts, so I bought four, didn't need the 4th...I'll have it for next time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't measure how much I was putting in as I was just pouring it out of a 5liter can.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
:yikes::yikes::yikes: it's always a reeeeeeally good idea to measure the amount of oil added to an engine. Just sayin....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts