StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, think I have screwed something up.

Just had the valve covers off to do a valve clearance check. This is the 15K check. I also installed the cruise control. While testing the bike to determine if the cruise was functioning I noticed a little oil leaking from the front cylinder, side, spark plug area. I pulled the plug and noticed a hole behind the plug and oil was leaking out. Not sure where this hole comes from. One guess is that it leads up to the top spark plug area and provides a drain from that area in case water gets in there or maybe someone didn't get the O-ring properly located when he installed the cover. Anyone know for sure where that passage leads to?

I don't see any leakage anywhere else.

Thanks for any help. Leaving for a trip next weekend, if I get this thing figured out.

Did a search and looked in the manual and did not find the answer, however I can't believe I'm the first one that has seen this happen. Course with my luck maybe.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I pulled the plug and noticed a hole behind the plug and oil was leaking out. Not sure where this hole comes from. One guess is that it leads up to the top spark plug area and provides a drain from that area in case water gets in there
That's it. Either you didn't get an O-ring properly placed or you got some oil into the plug well that is now getting out. The quantity of oil will tell you which. The O-ring is around the hollow dowel in the pic. The valve cover gasket has a section that goes around the spark plug well that may not be in place also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks grey wolf,

I remove the forward plug and found the well had oil in it. I removed cover and reinstalled. Don't know how I could have completely missed the o-ring that encircles the spark plug well. But I think that is what happened. I also made sure the o-ring was located properly. Tested and it did not seem to leak. Will have to check it after a test ride. After I put all the tupperware back in place.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If the ring around the well was not in place, that would definitely cause your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts