StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm currently changing out clutch baskets and am having a hard time removing the oil pump drive gear that is located on the back of the basket.

I removed the spring pin clip, and the cylindrical key seems to be moving freely in the slot. The gear is not coming off, its not even moving a little.

My question is this: Is there additional fasteners/clips holding it on, or is it common for these gears to be stubborn to remove.

Andy

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The snap ring and pin have to come out. What you are describing as a cylindrical key is probably that pin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just did the basket swap last night. After you remove the ring with ring pliers the gear should slide right off. It has a little bit of play on it as well.
Have you tried tapping it with a rubber/plastic malet?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,550 Posts
Once the large snap ring is removed the gear will lift right off. These are not a tight fit at all. Then you can remove the dowel pin that keeps the gear from spinning on the hub. The gear must be removed before the dowel pin can be removed.

If the gear seems tight, make sure there is not something in the groove the snap ring goes in that is fouling it. Did the snap ring come off without breaking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yes, the snap ring was removed with little to no drama. I poked the pin with a small screw driver and it appears to be moving freely in the slot.

I have read the powerpoint slide that was recommended above, and it gave me the same feeling that all of you are; this thing should pop right off.

I'm apprehensive about appling a large amount of force. I think i'll hit it with some penetrating oil in hopes that its just gunked up.

I've been told that maybe using a pry bar under the pin location might work. Prehaps a gear puller might be a good way of applying uniform pressure?

***EDIT: GREY WOLF: Are you saying that i have to remove the pin before the gear? Is that possible?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts