StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking over the bike a bit ago, and thought I was seeing brake fluid leaking around the hoses on the right side, splattering rearward toward the engine.

Upon further investigation, and smelling the offending fluid....it seems as though my right fork is spewing some fork oil

Bike just turned 10K miles, anyone else had this trouble? '05 DL1000, never offroad.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
a leaky fork seal will be evident on the fork tube. check it before blaming it.

·
38,048 Posts
check the tube for scratches or dings. a marred surface will eat a seal in a hurry. even dried bug remains can wreak havoc. i like fork gaiters that cover the tubes to keep them pristine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take a very thin feeler guage, or some 35 MM film negative and slip it up past the seal then slide it all the way around the tube. 9 times out of 10 this will clean out the particles that are allowing the oil to leak past. Just did this last night on my KX and the leak stoped.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the "thin feeler gauge" thing all the way 'round the fork tube twelve times now, and she's still leaking.

Wipe off the oil, go for a ride, and the oil is back there on the right tube, every time. Damn.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and was told that it would need a new seal. The problem is that the seal is back-orderded and the dealer has no idea when it will be delivered from Suzuki. I'm going crazy not knowing when I will get my bike back.

Bob

K

·
0 Posts
Re: Same problem

indybob said:
I had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and was told that it would need a new seal. The problem is that the seal is back-orderded and the dealer has no idea when it will be delivered from Suzuki. I'm going crazy not knowing when I will get my bike back.

Bob
There have to be a dozen aftermarket companies that can get a simple fork seal to your dealer. Tell him to try harder. :roll:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good point.

Thanks for your post. I thought so as well. I think I've run into a dealer that doesn't seem too motivated.

Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks

Kurt,
Thanks for the web sites. I'm passing them on to my dealer. My bike is an 06 DL650 so hopefully some of those kits are interchangeable.
Bob

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
In the meantime wrap a rag or cloth around just below the fork tube to prevent oil from getting anywhere near the brake pads.

Just for grins, replace both front brake pads after you fix the seal if you have any doubts about one of them getting contaminated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:D My dealer has the seals in stock, so he'll do both sides this week.

2.8 hrs labor at $65./hour, plus twenty bucks for the seals....there goes my fun money for the month.

Should do it myself, as I can rebuild the front suspension on my bicycle, don't want to muss something up on the motorbike though.

K

·
0 Posts
You might save some considerable cash if you deliver the forks to the dealer off the bike if you are comfortable with that.

·
38,048 Posts
Then think about adding accordian pleated gaiters to keep the fork tubes clean.

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
I cleaned "both" of mine really good today. No bugs were down past the guards, but there sure were a bunch of bug guts, all the way to up under the top of fork tubes. Honda polish and a soft rag, is pure magic!!!! It makes perfect sense, as to "how" dead bug parts, can be abbrasive and cause the seals to leak.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Removing the forks today was just plain simple, and pleasurable.

Haven't yet received my 19mm hex socket from McMillan, but will tomorrow or Friday....forks go in manana for new seals.

A spark plug socket and big ass pipe wrench will EASILY remove the front axle, in a pinch!

I'd much rather remove the forks than the gas tank!

(Edit....ordered the 19mm two days ago, and got it today!!)

kurt1305 said:
You might save some considerable cash if you deliver the forks to the dealer off the bike if you are comfortable with that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts