StromTrooper banner

Oil Lock Piece and Emulators

2533 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Black Lab
Drilling the damper rod as prescribed in the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulator instructions results in the bottom two holes being inside the oil lock piece. This doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone provide any insight?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Drilling the damper rod as prescribed in the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulator instructions results in the bottom two holes being inside the oil lock piece. This doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone provide any insight?
Just drill out the existing holes to 7/16, don't drill any new ones.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what mine looks like too, but there is another piece (#11 on the front fork parts list) that sits at the very bottom of the slider, into which the tapered end of the damper rod fits. Perhaps in yours and in other photos I've seen that part is still in the slider. Mine came out when I disassembled to fork so I was able to visualize where the new holes fall relative to that piece.

· Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Thanks, too late on the one side, however. I already drilled the 4 new holes and drilled out the existing holes. The other damper rod is still pristine. Suggestions on how to proceed?
Go ahead and drill the other so that they match. It's not a big deal.

· Registered
307 Posts
Just drill out the existing holes to 7/16, don't drill any new ones.
Hi Rich,

Do you mind expanding on this -- this is the first I've heard this advise. Is the normal advise to drill additional holes just an overabundance of caution (making absolutely sure there's enough flow that the damper rods are out of the equation), or is your advise specific to running lower viscosities of fork oil? If so, up to what viscosity are two hole sufficient? For Example, Ricor say you don't need to drill the damper rods at all because you have to run 5W fork oil with Intiminators, and the stock holes are large enough to not be a factor at that weight.

Thanks,
John

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
I will weigh in on this:

(If you weigh about 185lbs with all of your gear on.).

- Drill the extra holes as prescribed in the Race Tech instructions.

- Braze the rebound hole closed in the damper rods.

- Drill three more holes in the top plate of the emulator that are of the same size as the stock hole. (You will now have four holes in each top plate.).

- One turn of preload on the "yellow" emulator spring.

- Use the stock DL-650 fork springs.

- Use 20 weight fork oil.

- Have a 150mm air space over that fork oil.

(Add a forkbrace)

You will have absolute total command of the road, whether it is a paved interstate, potholed secondary road, or rutted dirt/gravel road.

Period.

B.L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.