StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is about to go in for it's 12K service and the recall service.

I have noticed though in the past two days that when I stop the bike after a ride that the oil light will flick on and off randomly.

When the bike is cold (or it's been off for 5 minutes after running) or when I'm riding the light behaves as expected, i.e. light on when engine off and light off when running. The oil level is fine.

I'll be mentioning it to the mechanic on Monday when the bike goes in for the service, but just wanted to ask if anyone had a similar thing happen to them and if it was indicative of an issue or if it is recall related.

Cheers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't tell by your description whether the bike is running when the light is flickering. If so, that's indicative of an oil pressure problem (or sensor/electrical malfunction). If the bike is off when this is happening, that's a whole 'nother crazy electrical issue.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell by your description whether the bike is running when the light is flickering. If so, that's indicative of an oil pressure problem (or sensor/electrical malfunction). If the bike is off when this is happening, that's a whole 'nother crazy electrical issue.
Yeah sorry, I re-read my description and it seems it was written by a moron hehe

The bike isn't running when it happens. When the engine is on the light functions normally. When I kill the engine that's when it happens. I'm pretty sure it's related to the recall issue. I'll just not ride the bike again until the service day and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd have it checked by a competent mechanic just to be sure.

Once I had an old car whose Oil Light would turn occasionally because the wire would come off the oil pressure sensor and touch the car body. So many false alarms could make you ignore a real warning.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
That certainly sounds like a shorting wire someplace, or a loose connection, possible rust issue.

Hopefully you get a new harness, that should take care of it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The light should be on if the ignition is on and the engine not running. A marginal connection could cause a flicker under those conditions so it could be a connector involved in the recall.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Do these have a pressure switch or a level switch ?

My Yamaha MT09 (FZ09) has a level switch not a pressure switch.

I don't like it .....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do these have a pressure switch or a level switch ?

My Yamaha MT09 (FZ09) has a level switch not a pressure switch.

I don't like it .....
Not sure Rolex, I'll ask the mechanic anyway.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's an oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just rode home from work. Light worked as intended at work and the ride home.

At home I hit the kill switch, light came on as expected and stayed on. Reversed bike (a feat in itself) into the garage and as soon as I put the bike stand down the light started flickering. Bike can stay in the garage until service day on Monday.

Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Just got the bike back from dropping it off for it's 12000km service and recall. No issues with the recall and they found no flickering of the oil light after the service/recall and it was good when I got it home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts