StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wee was up on its stand and I had it running and then all of a sudden the oil light came on the CHEC came on, then it flashed FI or F1. I checked my service manual and can't make heads or tails of it?

I just went out and restarted it and nothing happened? By nothing meaning it went through the normal stuff and fired right up? Should I take it for a ride and see what happens?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
See FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes on how to set the dealer mode and read the FI code. If it is a transient code, it may disappear when the ignition is turned off. Keep the bike in dealer mode until a code other than C00 is displayed and that code will indicate the problem area.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So my wee was up on its stand and I had it running and then all of a sudden the oil light came on the CHEC came on, then it flashed FI or F1. I checked my service manual and can't make heads or tails of it?

I just went out and restarted it and nothing happened? By nothing meaning it went through the normal stuff and fired right up? Should I take it for a ride and see what happens?

You didn't happen to put the kickstand down while it was in gear or vice versa did you? Or possibly hit the kill switch by accident? Both have happened before and they cause exactly the symptom you describe. Try it and see. And neither scenario will leave a code in ECU memory because it's all normal behavior. You didn't say the bike died but I take it that it did. Also, did the FI light blink or just come on? A blinking FI light (the oil light is the same light) is supposed to indicate a system error where it will not run at all. If this was an oil pressure problem, I don't think the CHEC comes on but I didn't verify that.

If your bike actually had an intermittent EFI problem, the error that popped on the light will be stored in the ECU's memory and a dealer technician familiar with Suzuki's diagnostic hardware/software system can find out what it was in less than 10 minutes, even if the problem is gone for now and the key has been turned off.

The good thing about the Dealer mode that Greywolf linked to is that it's free, no dealer needed. You'll probably have to pay at least something for a dealer to connect the SDS box and read the stored code (if there is one). If the problem is happening frequently enough, dealer mode is something you may be able to perform yourself.

·
38,104 Posts
You didn't happen to put the kickstand down while it was in gear or vice versa did you? Or possibly hit the kill switch by accident? Both have happened before.
Those would throw a CHEC but not an FI. An SDS or OBD tool can find the stored code if you are willing to part with some money. Otherwise, you can even ride with the bike in dealer mode until a code is displayed but the FI can put the bike in "limp home" mode or stop it altogether. The transient nature and CHEC preceding makes me think you had a C42 code. That can come from a marginal ignition switch connection. A C31 Gear Position Sensor is another possibility.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those would throw a CHEC but not an FI. An SDS or OBD tool can find the stored code if you are willing to part with some money. Otherwise, you can even ride with the bike in dealer mode until a code is displayed but the FI can put the bike in "limp home" mode or stop it altogether. The transient nature and CHEC preceding makes me think you had a C42 code. That can come from a marginal ignition switch connection. A C31 Gear Position Sensor is another possibility.
I don't know if he got a code on the display, he didn't mention it other than the FI light on. The red FI light / oil light comes on as soon as you put the transmission in gear with the side stand down (and the engine dies). It's probably the lack of oil pressure that turns the light on in this case. To be sure, I just went out in the garage and tried it. The CHEC comes on about 2 seconds after the bike dies. As many times as I've seen the light come on when you kill the engine, I couldn't tell you if the CHEC comes on with the stand down/in gear situation until I went out there to verify it.

·
38,104 Posts
I don't know if he got a code on the display, he didn't mention it other than the FI light on.
He said he got an FI.

So my wee was up on its stand and I had it running and then all of a sudden the oil light came on the CHEC came on, then it flashed FI or F1.
He won't get a code unless the bike is in dealer mode.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you two for the quick replies! The bike did not die, and the FI light was on steady.

I did accidentally put the bike in gear with the kickstand down, but it died immediately and started right back up and this error occurred a few minutes later.

Greywolf, you said that I can use an OBD reader on it? I have an OBD II reader in my arsenal of tools. Also thanks for the link, I might just wire up a "permanent" switch for those wires for the dealer switch.

Also a side note, which may have also caused it, is I've been tinkering with my DIY gear position indicator and I've got a wire tapped into the pink GPI sensor. This could have maybe caused the issue??

I won't have a chance to work on the bike until tomorrow afternoon as its nearing 10 pm here. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more information.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need a Suzuki specific OBD tool. Blue Monkey Motorsports (Formerly Cal-Sportbike) ::: HealTech Electronics, Speedo Healer, Pipercross air filters, Galfer, GIPro, X-TRE, OBD Tool, FI Tuner Pro

A GI could cause a C31 if there was a problem with it. Since the FI didn't kill the bike, you can put the bike in dealer mode and it will run if it throws a code. Make sure the side stand switch is closing completely and the stand withdraws completely.
Thanks GW. I will put the bike into dealer mode tomorrow. I know right where those wires are since I just had the side panel off.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before I left for work this morning I took a few seconds to look at where my dealer switch plug is on the bike, and it looks like I will be able to get a jumper on it without removing the side panel.

So once I get it plugged in, is there a way to "erase" the error code? or do I have to fix the problem to make it go away? When I used to have issues with an older Subaru of mine, I would fix the issue or what I thought was the issue, then plug in my OBD II reader and "erase" the code and see if it popped up again. I didn't see anything mentioning this on that link to the VSRI FAQ.

·
38,104 Posts
Fix the problem and the FI will go away. It only appears when actively sensed and only remains as long as the ignition is not turned off in this case as it is intermittent. You don't need to erase it. It will be in the ECM memory as a past event. It takes an SDS or OBD tool to remove it from memory but the same tool is required to see that it ever happened.

·
Registered
100 Posts
He said he got an FI.

He won't get a code unless the bike is in dealer mode.
Greywolf, is right. I was thinking Yamaha which shows *current* codes on the display without any mode changes.

It is good practice to clear past codes once the problem is solved so future diagnostics are easier.

Keep us posted on what you find. That helps us learn.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fix the problem and the FI will go away. It only appears when actively sensed and only remains as long as the ignition is not turned off in this case as it is intermittent. You don't need to erase it. It will be in the ECM memory as a past event. It takes an SDS or OBD tool to remove it from memory but the same tool is required to see that it ever happened.
Thanks again GW. Looks like I get to sit at work all day waiting to get home to see what code it is. I'll definitely do a follow up post once I get the code.

·
38,104 Posts
Looks like the code is gone??

I have a feeling it's because I was tinkering with the GPI wire maybe?

Should I leave it in dealer mode for awhile? Or call it good and ride?
Your call. How important is the clock for you? You could always take it to a dealer to read the code in memory if you want.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your call. How important is the clock for you? You could always take it to a dealer to read the code in memory if you want.
I might call a local dealer or shop to see what the code was. I guess the clock isn't that important! Doesn't matter what time it is as long as I'm riding.

·
Registered
22,312 Posts

I recently had a smimilar issue, it was going into dealer for routine service anyway, turned out to be corrosion on connectors

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recently had a smimilar issue, it was going into dealer for routine service anyway, turned out to be corrosion on connectors
Which connectors randyo? The starter switch ones? :confused:

I'll be tearing my bike down to do some maintenance on it starting hopefully this weekend, so I may as well check what ever connections you are referring to while I've got her out of commission.

·
38,104 Posts
Starter switch problems won't throw a code. Ignition switch or gear position switch connectors are the ones to check.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts