StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book (owners manual) says to put the bike ('04 dl1000) on the side stand on level ground and check the oil level in the sight glass. When I do that, the sight glass is empty. If I hold the bike up straight, the oil level reads perfect. Is the book wrong or am I low on oil? It runs great but this is my first v-twin so I'm not sure what its supposed to sound like. When I changed the oil the dealer said it took 3.1 quarts but it would be ok to put an even 3.0 in it. Any thoughts?

k

·
Registered
61 Posts
Vstromper said:
The book (owners manual) says to put the bike ('04 dl1000) on the side stand on level ground and check the oil level in the sight glass. When I do that, the sight glass is empty. If I hold the bike up straight, the oil level reads perfect. Is the book wrong or am I low on oil? It runs great but this is my first v-twin so I'm not sure what its supposed to sound like. When I changed the oil the dealer said it took 3.1 quarts but it would be ok to put an even 3.0 in it. Any thoughts?

k
hi vstromper, you need to hold the bike level to check the oil. then it should be at or near the top line. if it is on the side stand the oil will disappear from the site glass....... I hate site glasses...... :p

Kaos :roll:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have to check straight up. Give me a dipstick any day.
Sit on it and have one of your kids look at from the side or get a center stand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don’t know about the 1000 (mine is a 650) but 3.1 qts. sounds like an oil change without a filter change… Forget what the dealer says and read the owners manual fluid capacities chart. When you change your own oil and filters you are only responsible person involved. Oil level checks are just one of a half dozen good reasons to get a center stand.

oldgeorge

·
Registered
130 Posts
miror on a stick

To check my level, I bought an "automotive type" mirror on a telescoping stick, like ya use for looking for leaks in you car engine compartment. I just telescope it out, and hold it by the window. Works good for me with no center stand yet. Doug.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: miror on a stick

dchatfie said:
To check my level, I bought an "automotive type" mirror on a telescoping stick, like ya use for looking for leaks in you car engine compartment. I just telescope it out, and hold it by the window. Works good for me with no center stand yet. Doug.
Good idea!

I've only done two changes (oil & filter) on my 650. I put about 2.75 quarts in and run the engine for 30 seconds to get the oil recirculated, shut off, wait a minute, then check the sight glass & add as needed. I haven't had to put a whole 3 quarts in, yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: miror on a stick

Ditto, what TomG said.

TomG said:
dchatfie said:
Good idea!

I've only done two changes (oil & filter) on my 650. I put about 2.75 quarts in and run the engine for 30 seconds to get the oil recirculated, shut off, wait a minute, then check the sight glass & add as needed. I haven't had to put a whole 3 quarts in, yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mariah said:
3.1 qts. sounds like an oil change without a filter change…

oldgeorge
:oops: I stand corrected on the 3.1 qts. --- should've checked owners manual fluid capacities chart before opening my big mouth. :roll: My bad memory only goes to show how important the owners manual is.
Still believe in centerstands though...

oldgeorge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts