StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil level window is fogged up and can't see the oil level. I know how engine oil can "sludge up" when the engine is repeatedly run short distances and never fully warms up. Shouldn't be my problem, here's why;
My 2012 Glee has 21k miles and I change the oil every 4k or so. My commute is 25 minutes after allowing the engine to run about 5 minutes to warm up. Air temps are high 30's to mid 40's when I ride to work and mid 50's when I head home.
I've tried keeping the rev's up so most of the trip I'm spinning 5-7,000 RPM. Is it over-cooling? Should I be running synthetic oil? Maybe a lower viscosity rating?
Same thing happened last winter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nothing to worry about.

Pretty common this time of year. Last 3 bikes have done the same thing.

One longer ride should clear it up for a bit.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Idling the bike makes the problem worse. With no load, the engine is spending more time creating water as a by product of combustion but not getting hot enough to boil it off. Ride it right away to keep the engine loaded to shorten to time a cold engine is running. Just limit the rpms to 5000 or less until you get two temp bars because the oil is cold and the parts are not fully "grown".

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Are you sure it is not engine coolant ?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You could go crazy with this or just let it go.

Go crazy and send an oil sample in for analysis.

Let it go since you change the oil every 4k miles and drive in low temps.

I guess it's up to you. I've done both. :mod_biggrin:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I don't like to see too much idling either. I don't think there is anything wrong, as you said it done it last year. Hard to get the OIL up to temperature on bikes in cold weather. Too much surface area that the oil is in contact with, these cold surfaces stuck the heat out of the oil. The new DL has an oil to water cooler for the oil. I would try running the radiator partially covered with some cardboard. Watch your temperature Guage of course, but it should allow the oil to get enough heat into it to evaporate the condensation. Experiment with that a bit and let us know if it helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On my last air cooled bike the condensation got so bad that I couldn't see the oil level. With the engine fully warm I would park the bike and remove the oil filler plug for a few minutes. The condensation on the window would evaporate and I could at least see the oil level.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've read that the site glass is actually a double pane assembly.

Might be wrong but it would explain why sloshing oil does not remove or alter the condensation appearance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
No, the condensation is internal. The glass is actually plastic. It stays colder than the metal parts of the engine. When condensation causes water to mix with the oil and give a mayonnaise appearance, it's likely to be seen mostly on the plastic sight glass and plastic oil filler cap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are loads of threads on this. I panicked a couple of winters ago when I first saw this and changed my oil. The old oil was perfectly okay and wasn't cloudy all. It was just the sight glass. Mine generally stays cloudy all winter even if I go on a long run. It only goes clear at about 40+ ambient temperature. If you want to temporarily clear it to see the oil just use a hair dryer or paint stripping heater gun on the sight glass to clear it right up.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Absolutely normal.

The 2012+ seem to do it more than the pre-2012.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yup. Oil is fine. But there's definitely condensation in the crankcase.
I changed the oil to be sure. I guess I need to heat the engine more.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In the middle of winter not even a long run will clear it up. I tried a couple of winters ago and rode through 4 states and it didn't clear it up at below freezing temperatures. I think it may be partly due to the very efficient oil cooler on the 2012+ that you can't regulate in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Absolutely normal.

The 2012+ seem to do it more than the pre-2012.
I never had it happen on my K7, but it just happened for the first time on my L2.

Last 2 weeks have been unusually cool and wet here. Lows 20-30s and highs maybe 40. I don't do short trips my commute is 35 miles over half of it 80+ mph hwy, 45 minutes long, and it still wouldn't go away until it hit the 60's here.

I was getting kind of worried when it finally got in the 50's and it was still there, this after taking the back roads for a 40 mile commute home and riding more aggressive than usual.

I commute year round and had done so on my K7 for 5 years, and this was the first time I seen it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my 2015 dl650 had a foggy oil level window as well. it finally went away after freeway driving for an hour with the air temp at about 45. what a relief. slower going and idling wouldn't clear it up. i'm glad GW (rip) reminds us not to idle the engine. i've been idling the engine to 2 bars of heat during the midatlantic winter, if i dont drive it for a week. it is always outside under a half cover, a full cover, on a battery tender, and with 2 small fans blowing air over the engine (to reduce condensation). i wont idle the moto anymore. i'll just take if for a ride until i get 4 bars of engine heat. i suppose that should do the trick. burrrrrrr!

·
Registered
372 Posts
4 bars? My L3 has never gotten to 4 bars even on the hottest days. 3 bars is normal operating temp. You may want to investigate what's going on there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts