StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoying my 2011 Wee! After racking up another 140 mile day here in paradise, I noticed something giving me concern. I had my 500 mile dealer oil change / checkup, and at 800 miles with the bike on my recently installed wonderful Murph’s centerstand, I see the oil lever past the “full” and all the way to the top of the sight glass. I know from personal experience that too much oil is worse than not enough oil. Is this correct? A new bike is a privilege and I want this bike to last. Is my concern about potentially too much oil correct or is the sight glass full to the top a normal occurrence-
Please Advise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
oil

Dude, check it on level ground while you are holding the bike straight up and down. Then look at the glass, you should be good. You can also use a mirror with extension if you don't want to bend down to look...

·
Administrator
17,209 Posts
Do the rest of the changes yourself, should've done the first one too.:yesnod:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you check the oil level right after dealer oil change? I have motech center stand and oil level reads exact same as standing straight. If it reads above high, I would go back to the dealer for oil replacement or adjustment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Enjoying my 2011 Wee! After racking up another 140 mile day here in paradise, I noticed something giving me concern. I had my 500 mile dealer oil change / checkup, and at 800 miles with the bike on my recently installed wonderful Murph’s centerstand, I see the oil lever past the “full” and all the way to the top of the sight glass. I know from personal experience that too much oil is worse than not enough oil. Is this correct? A new bike is a privilege and I want this bike to last. Is my concern about potentially too much oil correct or is the sight glass full to the top a normal occurrence-
Please Advise.
Have the same setup and shows high while on the center stand and normal off center stand.
David

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Eet's ok.

First, a slight overfill won't hurt anything. If you can still see it in the sight glass, don't sweat it.

Second, the center stand will cant the bike slightly forward, and thus cause the oil level to be slightly higher in the front of the engine. You should expect it to appear a smidge high when on the center stand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil Level Question/ responses

Thanks to all for the quick responses. Yer right -If I performed this myself I'd been very careful via measuring to make sure I didnt overfill. Old BMW habit.

I looked up oil level in the owners manual and it specifically warns against overfilling. I noticed also the owners manual states capacity as 2.9 qts w/ filter change. Why did my dealer charge me for "4 Suzuki oil from shop"? I dunno if this is qts or liters.
Anyways we is going to have a talk.:argue: I have to feel the sight glass says "Full" and if I overfilled I would be brought to task via warranty work. :fineprint:

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
When I got my used bike I noticed the sight glass looked full. I found oil in the air box when I checked the filter. I made sure to loosen the drain plug and bring the level to the full mark. Easy to do.
The oil in the air box has gone away keeping the oil level correct.
You want to check the sight glass after an oil change by running the engine first to be sure you have oil where it needs to be in the engine. I usually check mine when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks to all for the quick responses. Yer right -If I performed this myself I'd been very careful via measuring to make sure I didnt overfill. Old BMW habit.

I looked up oil level in the owners manual and it specifically warns against overfilling. I noticed also the owners manual states capacity as 2.9 qts w/ filter change. Why did my dealer charge me for "4 Suzuki oil from shop"? I dunno if this is qts or liters.
Anyways we is going to have a talk.:argue: I have to feel the sight glass says "Full" and if I overfilled I would be brought to task via warranty work. :fineprint:
There is nothing easier than changing oil on a Wee - your dealer is ripping you and doing a questionable job. And you are not checking his work when you return to pick the bike up. (My brother drove from DC to TN with exactly twice as much oil as needed in his Jeep Cherokee cuz he didn't check the dealer's work - mighta compromised his rear main seal but otherwise it was fine.)

Oil changes and chain adjustments are about all you have to do on this great bike. Please consider doing this simple maintenance yourself.

·
Registered
100 Posts

If it's even a inch over full, your engine is not toast. Wives tales will say it can blow seals. But how can that be if there is a large vent hose from the cases to the airbox? Air goes in and out of that hose all the time the engine is running. Overfilling can cause oil to get in the airbox though and make a mess and possibly even cause a little smoke (just while it's overfull, no permanent damage). We've seen engines completely survive being full to the top of the fill hole (about 8" over full). It *is* possible in very extreme cases with different airbox designs for the oil to get in the airbox, then into a cylinder and cause a bent rod. We're talking grossly over filled and a different airbox. On your vstrom, I believe there is a drain line on the air box that will let it run to the ground before it goes down an intake tract.

Let me defend your dealer for a moment. You'll notice there's a high and low mark beside the oil level window. Anywhere in between is acceptable, but you would aim for the top mark. When these bikes come out of the crate, they usually are closer to the bottom mark than top. But owners expect it to be FULL, not just acceptable so dealers usually (and rightly so) top them off. So your bike is on a bike lift in their shop getting it's oil changed. The tech adds almost enough oil for the job and starts your bike to fill the filter. After a minute or so, he checks the oil and tops it off to very close to the full mark. Then he brings the bike around to you. Maybe he should have let it set 1 minute longer to see if the level would creep up another 1/8" while some runs back down from the top end. Maybe his bike stand is barely out of level. Maybe the place where you checked your oil is barely out of level. But if he left oil levels 1/16" of an inch below the full line, he'd hear about it every time even though that level is fine. The difference in quantity between exactly full and 1/8" above is probably about 100 cc (100cc is about 6.7 table spoons according to Google). Your engine isn't that particular about it's oil level.

If you decide it's way too full, please don't make the dealer drain it all out just to put more back in as one commented. How about letting him just drain out a little until it's exactly on the line?

If you have to break out a carpenter's level and caliper to check your oil, maybe you'd enjoy owning a Beemer.:biggrinjester:

The concern about charging for 4 units vs. the required 3 quarts is another matter. I'm not going to defend him on that one. But it could be an honest mistake. Most larger street bikes hold closer to 4 quarts than 3 but he should charge for what's used.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Don't fret over the 2.9 quart amount, either....

Screw off the plug, Drain the oil, twist off the old filter, twist on the new filter, screw on the plug.....

....and pour in, three full quarts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question solved! Thanks to all!

Oil changes and chain adjustments are about all you have to do on this great bike. Please consider doing this simple maintenance yourself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for all the GREAT answers! I am really impressed with all my new found buddies:thumbup:
The oil lever WAS CORRECT after I took off my Murph's centerstand:blush: Lesson Learned.
I WILL be doing my own maintenance: 1st change is required by warranty :bom_deal:
YES ITS A GREAT BIKE- looking forward to our buddy run to the
Ozarks in May.
I will post and put some pics up soon.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Here is what you do. The oil has completly filled the sight glass and you don't know how much over filled it is. Check the oil following the Suzuki directions. Now tip the bike slightly to the side away from you. Don't drop the bike. If you see the oil level come down below the top of the sight glass without having to tip it very far, then you are fine. If you are still not satisfied, loosen the plug over a clean pan and let a little drip out. Then recheck the level. If the plug drops into the oil drain pan just reuse the oil since you are using a clean drain pan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts