StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil & filter at my 600 mile interval. I put in 2.7 qts per the manual and the window barely shows any oil? What's wrong?

Filter - I don't have a filter wrench yet but best I can do is 1.75 turns but manual says 2. Am I ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Filter: If there is no seepage at the gasket all is fine. If it gets wet there tighten a bit further. For future consider K&N oil filter. They have a hex head and are easy to put on/ take off.

Oil level: Run the engine a bit. Let sit for a good while then with the bike upright (not on the sidestand) check the level. If its low add some more oil. Don't get hung up on the volume, that info is only indicative, not absolute.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Also don't confuse liters with quarts. You can also run the bike just a bit before the oil change maybe 3 minutes
then shut it off. Let cool a few minutes and then pull the plug to drain the oil into your pan. Let sit over night.
if you can. Then remove and change the filter. You can also use a scale to weight the oil amount. Just
zero the container weight. add old oil removed if level was good. Record weight. Then on refill match that amount
using the scale . I keep an old oil jug with a small pour spout just for this purpose. Never been a problem.

Very rarely is the amount of oil you purchase going to be the exact amount you will need...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - oil level is fine now, must just take a while to show in window. Called the dlr re the oil filter 2-turn requirement - he said they just turn till snug and never a prob. The torque for the filter is 17ft lbs and filter is ~14.5 ft lbs - never seen such a tight spec!

·
Registered
543 Posts
You will find out that some of the torque specs on these bikes is whacky. Some are just plain wrong.
There is a sticky on this subject so you might want to take a look to see what specs are spoofs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I understand the Suzuki filter can take the two turns due to the way the seals are made. Any other "normal" "standard" oil filter would never need two full turns or that much torque. I like the nut on the K & Ns but probably going back to OEM when I run out of my stock. KN had some QC issues on other size oil filters and some reviews I have read suggest they may not be as great as purported. Kind of hard to tell staring at the package and my thought is Suzuki (or any engine maker) has a lot to lose financially and reputationally so not likely skimping on filter quality.

That said some dufus with spreadsheet may get a promotion by saving 9 cents on filters by getting $.30 filters for two dollars even though they were paying $2.09 for two dollar filters. Dufus would never care about warranty claims, brand reputation as that don't show up in the procurement spreadsheet.

kfh000

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Agree with the Wix filter and the drop or two of oil spread on the rubber ring before installation.

On my '12 Wee, with filter change, I'm fairly sure I just pour in 3 quarts of oil and that puts the level at the top mark.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for peace of mind. Likely will stay with OEM, at least till warranty is up. Does seem well made though, with cellophane over the opening, never seen that before.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've been using HiFlo filters on several different motorcycles for years. High quality, solid construction, and never an issue. I find them locally at an indy parts shop, or online.
Hiflofiltro: Oil Filters

Steve.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
After my experience with my Ninja 650R I pretty much only buy OEM oil filters. For me it is worth the extra couple of $$.

As far as the oil level goes the big thing is to find a level surface and that is more difficult than it sounds - using a centerstand with definitely throw off the reading.

I usually change my oil on my back patio. My patio has a slight slope away from my cabin and I can get three different oil level readings depending where I park the bike when I take the reading. My standard process is to park it across the slope in the same spot each time for the oil change. Once I complete the oil change and run the engine for about a minute I then let it sit for about 5 minutes as I clean up everything. Once things are put away I check the oil level by pulling the bike off the side stand and finding the balance point. Once the bike as at that point I check the site window. If the level is about halfway between the marks I am good because oil with expand once it heats up and the level will rise if you check it after a decent ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts