StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
WHich is the most accurate way of checking the oil level: When cold and put on the centre stand for several minutes, the level in the glass is about a third way up from the minimum mark. When I use the suggested Suzuki owners book method, I put the bike on the centre stand, run the engine through the gears for 3 minutes, switch off and leave for 3 minutes, the level is only a fraction above the minimum mark. If I ride the bike for an hour, put it on the centre stand and leave for several minutes, the level is just below the maximum mark. It has been suggested to me that the last method will make it look higher than it really is? I am used to checking levels on other bikes, but never had to top up.The bike has had its 600 mile service, and I didn't notice this issue before this. I don't want to overfill, but of course don't want it too low. If you think it needs a drop, how much do you think? Sorry for the log meander, but I want to get it right.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Anywhere between high and low marks, hot or cold is OK. A millimeter or two up or down makes no difference. Try this...under the conditions where the bike level shows the highest, set the level at the top line. Ride. Have fun. Sleep well at night.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Run 3 minutes, wait three minutes is what it says in the manual :fineprint:

Seems to work if it's run for more than 3 minutes as well. I'd guess it should be done with both wheels on the ground being that the centre stand is only an option.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Putting it on the center stand will make it look higher. I like the convenience of checking on the center stand. I'll fill it so the oil level is at the top of the window and add oil if the level drops to the middle of the window in that configuration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm confused about this. My oil level, when on center stand fills up the oil level inspection window, (which sounds like how GreyWolf described.) And when on the side stand, it looks bone dry.

I trust greywolf and the manual (to a lesser degree).

The manual says:
'Hold the motorcycle vertically ........ oil level should be between "L" and "F"​

Do I have too much oil?!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Everything you report is normal. You have to have the bike on its tires and hold it straight up and down to use the window marks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When the bike is on a center stand the rear wheel is off the ground. Plus there are a few different cstands on the market.
Suzukis oil check procedure is for the bike to be vertical. Since at least in the US market it didn't come with a cstand, you can assume that Suzuki is say vertical with both wheels one the ground.

Also make sure where you are doing the check is flat.

I make it a habbit of checking the oil in the same place, just so I am getting the same kind of reading each time.

I run my oil just over half way between the two lines, closer to full.

I checked it both vertically with wheels touching and on the center stand enough to know what the level should be with the bike on the center stand.
But when filling I check the bike while holding it vertical.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Do I have too much oil?!
A trick I've learnt with sight glasses is if you think you have too much oil in, is to gently lean the bike away from the sight glass, with our bikes its towards the side stand, and see if you can see the top of the oil. The judgement is in knowing how much lean is ok till you see the top of the oil.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used few methods one was to put a small level on my adventure back plate and check the oil with the level bubble dead center. Other times I just put the bike on the center stand and check it like that, the problem with that is if you park in different spots everytime you check it you will get different reading. It all depends how level the bike is.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The dealer told me to always check the oil with the bike on its wheels, never on the center stand.
It doesn't make that much difference. Try it yourself. Get the level in the exact center of the sight glass, bike straight up on the tires, then put it on the center stand. Mark the level. Use this mark for your future convenience. See Greywolf's posting above. "Never check on the side stand," is what the dealer should have said.
I used few methods one was to put a small level on my adventure back plate and check the oil with the level bubble dead center. Other times I just put the bike on the center stand and check it like that, the problem with that is if you park in different spots every time you check it you will get different reading. It all depends how level the bike is.
All true, and it doesn't really matter. Anywhere in the glass is OK. At the top of the glass might provide better stator cooling, but we really don't know.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Probly doesn't matter that much

Anyone that rides a Vstrom understands eventually that it is engineered superbly. I doubt very much that the guys/gals that designed these cool bikes would leave a very narrow window on how much oil these steeds need to survive.

I've seen several posts on oil changes that say something like "just dump three bottles of oil in it and walk away". I think keep an eye on your oil level and don't sweat the small stuff.

Best/RR

·
Registered
371 Posts
The dealer told me to always check the oil with the bike on its wheels, never on the center stand.
Sound advise as it's the same Suzuki recommends.

If the oil level is at the "F" mark when the bike is upright with both wheels on level ground, the oil level will rise above the inspection window when the bike is on the center stand.
That's how it is on my bike with a SW-motech center stand.

Besides the convenience it is to be able to check the oil level on the center stand, I see no point in keeping the oil level below the "F" mark on purpose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I check it on the center stand. Suzuki says to hold the bike vertically (as it would be on a center stand) to check the oil. The increased front to back angle of the center stand is minimal on my happy trails center stand. I suspect if the bike came with a center stand manual would say place it on the center stand.

Holding the bike vertically and checking the oil window without a center stand is a pain.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wait a minute. You mean when you drain the oil at the initial 600 mile mark and replace the filter that YOU'RE ALSO SUPPOSED TO REPLACE THE OIL?!?! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Holding the bike vertically and checking the oil window without a center stand is a pain.
Very easy:

1: With the bike on the side stand, go to the right side, facing the rear of it, standing about 2 feet of the bike.
2: With your right hand, pull the right handle until the bike is leveled. At this point, it very easy to hold it there.
3: Lean yourself until you see that window.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Very easy:

1: With the bike on the side stand, go to the right side, facing the rear of it, standing about 2 feet of the bike.
2: With your right hand, pull the right handle until the bike is leveled. At this point, it very easy to hold it there.
3: Lean yourself until you see that window.
I agree - the procedure is very easy and only takes a few seconds.
I prefer to squat down instead of leaning over to inspect the window though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. Just checked my oil level while the bike was on the SW-Motech center stand, and it completely fills the sight glass. I knew I was very careful when I changed the oil and only put in 3 quarts of Rotella T6.

Once I took the bike off the center stand and held it up level and upright, it read right on the 'F' mark. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts