StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning ddburgman here recently bought a 2003 dl 1000 30,000 miles after riding it for a while I noticed a oil leak on the left side under the drive sprocket I removed the engine side cover to find that the former owner had a chain issue and broken the cases ( main and outer cover ) he had them welded the welds looked to be in good shape , but as with alloy metals they sometime become pouris when welded and seep oil. After major dissappointment :furious: in my purchase I looked at the facts there was really nothing else wrong with the bike and this had been caused by poor owner care. I installed a new side cover gasket removed the clutch piston assembley and chain drive cover so I could get to every thing I them cleaned the welded area with brake cleaner the next thing was to grind the whole area with a dremel tool very lightly. now hear comes the hardest part I removed the oil fill plug on the other side and had wife hold a vacuum nozzle over the hole this would cause a vacuum in the case of the engine I then sprayed more brake cleaner on the area ( to get any oil out of the weld)them dried the spot with air using a good grade medal epoxy I covered the whole area ( all this was done while the vacuum was still running) I was trying to suck the epoxy into any cracks in the weld.I waited 24 hrs them tested it on a 80 mile run the leak is gone, I will give it a much longer run later this summer. So far it is working great I have done this trick in the past on other welds its never failed me yet. And all it cost me was a can of brake clean some epoxy. Oh one other thing I had to buy my wife a new camera for sitting with the vacuum ( better than the complaining) :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I love success stories. Good work. I wonder if that was a result of a failed clip link.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
I have repaired quarter sized holes with JB Weld as a permanent repair.

Don't worry be happy

Plus, a minor oil seepage isn't really a big deal anyway

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
hold a vacuum nozzle over the hole this would cause a vacuum in the case of the engine
Great idea! You were using the porosity to your benefit.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I have repaired quarter sized holes with JB Weld as a permanent repair.

Don't worry be happy

Plus, a minor oil seepage isn't really a big deal anyway
Sort of an automatic chain luber, really...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts