Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first of all I know there are a ton of oil leak threads on the v strom. I do plan on replacing the common oil seals and rebuild the slave cylinder, but It appears oil is leaking from where the wire harness goes into the left side cover in roughly the 1 o clock position. Has anyone seen this happen before? is it even possible? what is making the seal where the harness goes in?

thanks in advance

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I read the how to change stator and one poster said you don't need to drain the oil. So my next question is is there oil behind the left side cover is it even possible for it to be coming out of the stator wiring area?

·
38,049 Posts
There is oil there. While the magneto may be above the oil level on a center stand, the stator is cooled by oil being pumped to the crankshaft left side journal bearing, on to the the starter clutch and then sprayed on the stator. When the engine is running, the rotor is flinging oil merrily.Here's a pic of the cover with the old rotor as it was removed. You can see the oil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so is it likely it could be leaking from that area?

·
38,049 Posts
Possible rather than likely historically. More reports have been of oil leaking from from the front cam chain tensioner screw or a loose crankcase vent tube. Either of those can cause oil to migrate into that area. You can use a little flour to where it sticks. Cleaning first and checking after one ride works best. In difficult cases, a dye can be added to the oil which is visible in ultra violet light. Both are available in a kit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey brian I appreciate Grey wolfs knowledge. Merely asking if it common to leak from that area.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks grey wolf. any idea where I can find pics or schematics of those?

·
38,049 Posts
Forget about the cam chain tensioner. On the Vee, it's under the front cylinder. The vent tubes are large rubber tubes about an inch in diameter running from each cylinder near the base up to the airbox. Use the flour trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts