StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my V Strom 650 L4 has an oil leak from the engine mount on the right side. Have 90,000 km on the clock and it is not convenient to open the engine to repair it. I've already read several discussions, but nobody ever wrote the solution. Has anyone had the same problem and how did he fix it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think this is a rare problem and few people have needed to solve it. Have heard of folks living with it as it was a small leak. To confirm the location, is this the on the mount with the long bolt through it between the cylinders. First step for me would be to retorque the bolt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks you, i try to retorque the bolt, but don't thinks to resolve because there isn't no gasket where the big bolt goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I update with advice I think useful for those who have this problem ... Someone with my identical problem, says he has solved the problem of oil leakage, simply by removing the pin, cleaned everything and then reassembled the pin filling with anti-seize grease ( but I think it goes well even with the simple generic grease) the inside of the hole, says that ever since then no more oil losses. This is the simplest solution, the bolt tightening torque is 93 Nm, confirm?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is the upper front bolt, the one behind the coil ... where the original crash bar is usually mounted. I read 93 Nm.

·
Super Moderator
5,157 Posts
Fine. Select the correct bolt or nut from the torque chart above. You said "engine mount" so that was what I quoted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not know if it is possible to put a washer in plastic or aluminum perhaps even better, perhaps there is not enough space, in the case it would need 4, 2 would go inside between the engine and the chassis, others 2 outside for bolt and nut. The idea is good ..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Off topic but how far should you fill the crankcase? just done an oil and filter change, should I fill all the way up to full line or have level between F and L marks?
I ran the engine to fill the filter etc, let her settle for a few hours on centre stand,level floor.)
I change oil and filter every 4000 miles, Motul 10w40 semi synthetic, currently on 38k miles,bike rides like new still.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Anywhere between the lines is fine. My preference is close to the top mark. IIRC manual states run for 3 minutes, shut down, then wait at least three minutes to check level.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I think keeping your oil level on the high side helps keep the stator cool and prolongs it's life.

I have no proof and will never find any but my old 09 Wee is still on it's original stator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts