StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen, ladies.

The other day, I installed a much coveted center stand, and wouldn't you know, the first try to get her up, I lost her center of balance and she tipped over on her right side. Heart broken, embarrassed and frustrated that I let this happen, I scuffle to get her back up and promptly go watch a few dozen youtube videos about the technique of center stands. Kicking myself for having not done my research in the first place.

I have crash bars from SW MotoTech and hard cases in the back. With 42k miles on the clock, a few scratches and dents were the lease of my concerns. After a short ride directly thereafter, I noticed the oil leak. My first thought was oil made its way back up to the air box and this was a drain tube dripping 5-10cc of oil. I promptly take the fairing and take off the tank to inspect the air filter that I suspect to be siting in a river of oil. –Dry as a bone. This is bad news to me because the only source of the oil that I can find is coming from the crankcase.

Oil seems to be seeping from a flush joint that connects part of the frame to the top-most bolt on the right side of the crankcase. The picture shows the bolt and the joint and a little dampness from the oil seepage, but the diagram shows the bolt in question, without the ‘L’ shaped frame piece. Bolt No. 32 coming through Nut No. 34.

I called a dealer, and they never heard of anything like this before. I have found very little information about oil coming from this spot so thus this post.

Advice and guidance are very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I've seen one or two instances of oil getting to that area. It's very unusual. The tunnel the bolt running through should be high and dry. It's a couple of inches above the seam of the two crankcase halves. The good news is very little oil will be lost with a leak in that area. The bad news is it is practically impossible to stop without separating the crankcase halves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GreyWolf,
With my limited mechanical knowledge, I thought it odd that oil would have access that area. What do you think the long term prognosis is? Will I be living with an oil leak for the remainder of her days?

Do you think I should attempt to replace that bolt?

Cracking the crankcase sounds more daunting than open heart surgery. I've made valve adjustments and cleaned a carburetor before, but it was a simple 250cc bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The bolt will have no effect on the oil leak. Keep the bike upright and you may see no additional oil. There is oil in the tunnel that may make itself known though. You can take the bolt out to ease cleaning the tunnel and put it back in. I would put anti seize on the nut's threads and torque it to 54lb-ft on re-assembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts