Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a leak at the bottom of the generator cover where the gasket is.

Now first thing I did was to check if all the bolts were tight enough and none of them moved, but noticed that 2 of them had washers. After looking at the service manual, there's no reference of those washers in it, any idea why the previous owner put those? Now I'm just afraid that when I change the gasket I discover more problems...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The bolts that penetrate into oil space have washers to stop oil leaks IIRC. That's a big if though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
humm ok, well from what I see i nthe diagram and YT videos they are never exposed to oil.

Gasket is ordered, I guess the only way to find out is to remove the cover.

Thanks,

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
Don't know about any washers either. I am more familiar with the 1000 and the fasteners don't have washers but a flanged head on the bolt. Probably someone had to install a stator and reused the gasket instead of putting on a new gasket.

·
38,049 Posts
The more I think about it, the less I feel like any of the bolts reach an oil filled area. Somewhere on the bike, there are bolts with little oil stopping washers connecting engine parts together. I'm just not sure where.

·
Registered
806 Posts
GW is correct, there are two washers on two of the generator cover bolts but they are near the top of the case on either side of the generator access port for viewing the crankcase position. The parts spec calls them "gaskets" but they must be crush washers, labeled 15 on the parts fiche for my K7. When I did my stator I just reused them and a new gasket and have had no leaks.

·
38,049 Posts
Great. I'm not completely losing my memory then. :grin2:

·
5,082 Posts
Well, between greywolf losing his memory and me losing both my mind and eyesight, I cannot see any washers? What I see is the built in flange of the bolt head. Or maybe I can't see?

·
5,082 Posts
Still not sure what you are seeing is washers. At any rate those are blind holes and the bolt does not need to be sealed. The gasket surrounds the bolt and it must be the problem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Looks normal to me... my bike is oilier than that from chain fling and I just wipe it down once in a while. But I've been using up some left over 10Wt fork oil to lube my chain so it does really fling a lot. It doesn't actually ever drip on the garage floor though, like a leak would, just a bit messy. Does the bike mark its spot like an HD when parked? That's the telltale of a leak. If anything is leaking in that area it would probably be the clutch push rod seal or countershaft seal/o-ring not the case gasket unless recent work was done that seems unlikely. Clean it up an see if you can zero in on the source if it really is a leak.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For the washer I'm just wondering why the previous owner used them. Was it to help get more torque on the bolt?

Last year I replaced the leaky push rod seal (push rod was bent...), so first thing I checked was that and the shaft, but that area didn't show any leak.

And yes it's dripping on the ground,so for now the bike is parked on the street. If I clean it and go for a 15min drive, it will get wet again at the bottom. It look like the brand new motor oil I used after replacing the clutch, not the chain lube.

·
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, since I had to change my oil today I decided it was time to fix this. When I removed the cover, it was obvious that it was coming from the rubber grommet where the wire of the stator pass that was leaking. I clean everything, put a new gasket and RTV the rubber grommet.

A few hours later I started the bike and let it warm up, when the bike got to the point the radiator fan started, oil was starting to drip on my driveway... I took a small mirror to look at the rubber grommet and all I could see was oil squirting out of that area, with the RTV there's no way the grommet was leaking so it had to be something else.

So I removed everything again and inspect the rubber grommet and noticed small holes under the wires on the inside side. I used compressed air to blow the oil out of them and it came out the other side, it looked like the grommet had 9 holes (3x3 array) and the 4 unused holes that were originally blocked no longer were... Clean with brake cleaner the oil and RTV them and assemble back everything. I'll put oil back in tomorrow after lunch and test.

Stator look like the one in the picture, you can also see holes on the grommet. It was changed by the previous owner, but still look like new.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
A seep even more so on a old bike I never worry about. Had too many Harleys,six,and too many old bikes I guess? If it drips a big spot or gets my knees wet with blow back oil I take a look and ponder what I will do.:grin2:
Some of us old guys rode when you had a lot of tools with you and used them.Way before cell phones and money enough to call some one to haul in and fix. We all so walked up hill both ways in the snow to school !:grin2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts