StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else experienced oil showing up in the circular groove around the allen nut on the clutch cover. I noticed the leak right after a short ride and the engine was still hot. The leak was not bad enough to cause drippage, however. I've seen other comments about oil leaks in this forum but they were in other areas of the engine. My bike has about 6,700 miles and is still under warranty. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
My '04 is leaking there also. There have been a few on this forum and others. MY dealer told me mine is the only '04 DL they have seen that leaked. Dealer replaced the "O" ring. It still leaked. Then they replaced the plug and "O" ring. Still leaking! Now they want me to bring it back again so they can check for a tear in the "O" ring and powder that area.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had the same issue on my '04 1000. (I think it's got about 18,000 miles on it now). I took it in and they tried to "seal" it with something. Still leaked. Took it back, they replaced the O-ring. Still leaks, although the smears seem less prominent.

I was pissed about the poor customer service at the shop (not only about twice not being able to fix the problem), so I haven't been back and don't plan to... and now it's out of warranty, so the leak is something I've accepted. I've never noticed it leaking enough to drip on the pavement. However, I do recall that my first extended ride during a four-day weekend (all-day riding each day), that I was about half a quart short by the third day. I don't *think* that much could've leaked out, but I also have a hard time believing that my then-new engine (maybe 3,000 miles at the time) could've burned that much oil over 1,500 miles. On a slightly shorter trip I also experienced a drop in oil level, but I topped it off with about 1/5 quart and forgot about it.

If anyone's able to find the cause of this problem, please post it here.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 05DL1000 leaked there once though not enough to notice if it weren't for the dust that collected on the thin film around the allen nut. It did this on a longer than normal border line from Mexico to the US in Calexico. It was a hot day and I was idylling along at 1 mph for about 45 minutes as the lanes there are too narrow to split-lane. I assumed it was heat related and kept an eye out and it hasn't leaked again since then.

M

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
My '04 has seaped from there since about 5k miles and also coolant from the thermostat housing since about the same time. the shop called me this morning to tell me it was fixed...we'll see. The warranty ended last Saturday. The leaks were so small and intermitent I didn't worry about them but thought I'd take it in before the warranty was over so they could fix it. Now I'm worried.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are you talking about the left engine cover?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I assume you mean the left engine cover which is the generator cover. My K4 leaked there almost from day one. I brought the bike to the dealer five or six times for this problem. The o-ring didn't work. A non-standard thicker o-ring did not work. A fat load of sealer crap did not work. A new plug with some of the above did not work.

I told the dealer after two tries the problem was likely a porous casting and would be correctly fixed by replacing the generator cover with a new one. Ever seen an old Moto Guzzi? Their cases had pores like you wouldn't believe. The factory response was to "shellac the cases". Just keep painting enough shellac on there until it didn't leak anymore.

My dealer kept insisting Suzuki would not let them replace the cover until they had tried "everything" else first. Finally they ordered a new engine cover. By then the bike was no longer under warranty but they said the job would be done under warranty as there was a well-documented history of the problem which began during the warranty period. I never did get it back there to have them swap the cover as I wound up trading the bike first. I wonder if they ever did change that cover...

Maybe the only solution is to make sure the dealer knows you're not going to roll over on it. Insist it's fixed properly. Modern motorcycles just aren't supposed to leak oil. It's not acceptable.

Ride well. Ride oil tight.

MWValley

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the oil leakage is a common occurence and the dealers are a little less than helpful in curing it. As long as it's minimal, I probably won't bother with it. I am also seeing the intermittent coolant leak from the left side, which my dealer inspected and apparently found no cause. From time to time, I still smell scorched coolant wafting up from the hot radiator while at stop lights, but haven't seen an encore appearance of the palm-size puddle that formed under the left side this fall. It's more than a little disappointing that a modern Japanese bike seems to have a hard time keeping its fluids where they belong.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know this oil leak isn't causing anyone to lock up their engine due to oil starvation. However the fact that oil can leak out also means that other crap, water, dirt, etc. can under certain circumstances of temperature, vacuum differential, etc., GET IN. It's not a sucking chest wound but a ten thousand dollar motorcycle (nicely equipped) shouldn't leak oil thank you very much.

I pushed my dealer, not unreasonably if you ask me, to the point of getting the big S to authorize a cover change. I never did keep the bike long enough to have them change it but I did leave a note hidden on the bike for the next owner to make sure they fixed it like they said they would. I hope the next guy or gal finds the note.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
FWIW, my 05 DL1k w/9k mi (and counting fast) leaks from the Cam Chain Adjuster thingamiggy at the copper gasket/washer (can you tell Stromette is mechanical moron?!). :wink: It's a very slow leak but Stromette doesn't like leaks of ANY kind so plans are to have it covered under warranty. Problem is taking time to stop riding and have a stealership work on it! Ugh!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
leak is no more

Generator Cover Plug Leak:
The cause for my leak was obvious after removing the plug and o-ring. The o-ring was too small and only a tiny portion of its edge was making contact with the case when torqued to spec. Installing the OEM o-ring had the plug bottomed out on the case without any sensation of compressing the o-ring, and removing it again revealed only slight contact with the case and zero compression. I took the plug to Kragen and got a better sized o-ring that would seat against the case before the plug bottomed out.

Over 1000 miles on the new o-ring and no leaks.

Part: O-TITE! , 64216, Width 1/8",I.D. 1-1/8",O.D. 1-3/8"

M

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had taken mine back again...and this time they just smeared some sort of grey goop (not silicone) on the seal area (not threads) and it still seeps! They managed to tweak the allen opening a bit because of the force they used to get the plug open, so perhaps ONE more visit to get a NEW plug and an "O" ring from the auto parts store will end this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mr. Monk,

You are a clever monk. I noticed this too but didn't find the right o-ring. If you screw in the plug slowly using all your mechanic zen powers to grok the plug going into the case, you never feel any resistance from the o-ring. The stock ring isn't sealing anything. My dealer made a fatter o-ring from a loctite roll-your-own kit but it was way too fat and didn't help either.

Hats off to Mr. Monk. Golden tourque wrench of the month award to you.

Hey Suzuki, you listening? We're solving some problems here for you. No charge.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got the "O" ring mentioned above, but it really seems too small! It's a tight stretch to get it on. Are you sure about this sizing? I didn't think it was a good idea to stretch "O" rings that tight. On the other hand, the "O" ring I took off seemed too loose (perhaps the sealant they used damaged it) and did not fit tight on the plug. Using the used "O" ring and putting the plug in by hand, there is resistance about 1 full turn before bottoming out. There does seem to be some roughness on the chamfered casting surface on the cover, but I would think the "O" ring would seal that.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took my plug to the store and tried out all the sizes they had and that one was the best fit I could find. The larger ones seemed to loose, and yes the one I mention is a little tight. There were some sizes they didn't have in the o-ring box so maybe there is a better fitting one. My local Kragen and Autozone were all I checked, maybe someone knows of a better store with a larger selection.

M

·
Registered
144 Posts
I found the next two sizes up are 1/8 x 1 3/16 x 1 7/16, and 1/8 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 (which is closest to stock). 1/8" is slightly thicker than the 3mm stock "o" ring. I installed the larger one because I felt it was a good fit. If this leaks, then I'm pretty sure it has to be the roughness of the chamfer.

The "O" ring I took off was "limp" by comparison to the new ones, so I think the sealant attacked it. I'll take it back to the dealer so they can see it...and not do that again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 05 DL 1000 has been leaking from the generator cover plug. This was noted while under warranty by the selling dealer. The cover, plug & o-ring were replaced under warranty even though I was out of warranty by date of delivery. As it is right now I don’t know if it is sealed correctly, because I have not put on 200-300 miles of continuous use. This would be the true test of the repair.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Columbo, mrmonk:

How's the "fix" with the slightly larger O ring holding up? I know I'm pulling up an old thread...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wczimmerman said:
Columbo, mrmonk:

How's the "fix" with the slightly larger O ring holding up? I know I'm pulling up an old thread...
2000 miles on it now and so far so good, no leaking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
wczimmerman said:
Columbo, mrmonk:

Haven't ridden yet. :(

It does take a few hundred miles to show up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts