StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all, I have been using this forum alot repairing my 2005 dl1000 that i bought as a "running but needs tlc" bike. A few months back i fixed all the problems that I could find but recently my cam position sensor on the rear cylinder died. I bought a new sensor but upon installing it i noticed there is no oil on the cams of the rear cylinder. When I turn over the engine with the cover removed there is also no oil flowing to the cams. During my problem solving process I found that there is oil flowing to the front cylinder cams so I am assuming the oil pump does work. I cannot find were the oil ports/ jets is located for the rear cylinder to check for blocked passages and ports. ANY advice would be aprreciated.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,549 Posts
Some pics might be helpful. NO oil would mean the cam lobes are scored. Do you mean very little oil? As far as I know the oiling is done through the cam journals. Meaning they would have to be pulled to inspect that area. I believe there are oiling holes in the cam lobe base circle.
If really wanting to watch for oil, I think turning the engine over won't show much. You could pull the clutch basket and turn the oil pump ( it turns clockwise ) with something to actually pressurize the system.

·
Registered
15,797 Posts
" You could pull the clutch basket and turn the oil pump ( it turns clockwise ) with something to actually pressurize the system."

I remember a friend pressurizing the system that way on a Jeep motor we were rebuilding. Makes you feel good when you see oil going to all the places it should before you start the motor and guess.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You could pull the spark plugs and spin it over real good on the starter for a while and check for oil flow. Don't spin it too long without stopping to let the starter motor cool down. spin it 10 seconds, let it cool 20 seconds and repeat several times if necessary. you will probably see oil then. If you don't see oil then you do have a problem. I will bet you do see oil flow.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies, the aluminium that clamps the cams are scored but the lobes still look okay, i took off the cams to prevent further damage and turned over the motor but still no oil, I will try manually turning the oil pump and while im at it, see if I i can fix the clutch chudder that I have seen some post on as my bike definately has it. I will post as soon as I have learnt something new

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Did you take out the spark plugs and crank it before removing the cams?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have attached a picture of the head without cams, turning the enige over gets obsolutely no oil anywhere, the oil in the pic i have added myself to prevent futher damage, does anyone know which port the oil sgould be coming from

Attachments

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
No idea which port(s), BUT did you do as suggested in post #4 and post #6? MAYBE everything might actually be OK.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,549 Posts
My personal opinion, based on the picture, is that it does not matter what port the oil flows from. That head is not going to last even if you restore oil flow. Looking at the cam journal, especially the top right one in the pic, sure looks like major damage to it and the others are not good looking. That engine looks like it has not had good care taken of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts