StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please confirm what size oil filter wrench the 2017 650 takes? I bought a 14 flute 68mm, as I was sure that was what I had seen online, but it didn't fit. It was a Performance Tool 14 flute 68mm from Amazon.

Did I misread the size required somewhere?

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
Bazooka's got it. Big gomby water pump pliers form Harbor Freight.
There are certain universal tools that belong in everyone's tool kit.

i recently had to use my biggest pliers to open a jar of Artichoke hearts. My old hands don't have the grip required.

·
Administrator
5,031 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Why not put it on less tight so it can be removed without needing a tool? Seems to work for me...

I'm hoping the above still applies as the last filter I installed was a Hiflo with the o-ring stile gasket. I haven't used a Hiflo before so perhaps I'm going to be eating my own words...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I use a strap wrench with sandpaper under the strap. sounds like a lot of effort I know but it does make easy work of filters.

Broken strips from power files are ideal FWIW.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Suzuki sells the wrench. Harbor Freight set kind of wedges/jams. The OEM takes a pretty good twist due the different seal. I like the K&N filters for the little nut welded on. I do think you can always trust OEM filters as the very highest quality. Others hard to say.

kfh000

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
Brockie, I have one of those leverage strap wrenches with a length of chain as the gripping surface.
You can really talk to a difficult filter with that! "Get loose or I will crush you to death!"

·
Registered
269 Posts
unscrew it with pliers or screwdriver then put new one using your hands only, that way you can undo it later same way.

Otherwise get some adjustable wrench.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It should take more torque to remove the oil filter than it was installed with. You smear some oil on the rubber ring and then tighten it against the mating surface. so you tighten it up with a slippery rubber surface. the oil then squeezes out and you have a dry rubber ring against the mating surface. it takes a lot more torque to turn a filter with a dry rubber ring than an oily rubber ring. when you remove an oil filter the rubber ring will be dry unless you spill oil on part of it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
We hd a guy at work that used that method.
One engine later...
You friend at work might of thought he used "that method" but I'm willing to bet he actually forgot to tighten the filter.

In the last 45 years I suspect I'm somewhere between 100-200 motor vehicle oil filter changes. I've screwed up once or twice by over tightening filters and learned from that. The only filters I have trouble removing these days are the ones someone else puts on. I have never had a filter leak or fall off...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jeezus!
All this gum gnashing over a $5.00 wrench!!! Enough already.....
If you are using Genuine Suzuki filters, the Suzuki Part number is 09915-40611.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You friend at work might of thought he used "that method" but I'm willing to bet he actually forgot to tighten the filter.

In the last 45 years I suspect I'm somewhere between 100-200 motor vehicle oil filter changes. I've screwed up once or twice by over tightening filters and learned from that. The only filters I have trouble removing these days are the ones someone else puts on. I have never had a filter leak or fall off...
Then you'd lose that bet.
This kid came from a couple of other shops, and he came to me and asked me how tight to tighten an oil filter. I explained to him I tighten it as much as I can by hand without a wrench. I also pointed out to him that are tightening instructions printed on the filter. Some say 2/3 turn after gasket contact, some are 3/4 turn etc.
3 week into the job he calls me over to his stall to listen to an engine THRASH. I asked him what were the circumstances of this noise(2010 Nissan Sentra, 7K miles, a loaner car for our Mazda customers). He lowers his head, tells me the oil filter came loose. I asked him who changed the oil last, he tells me he did. I asked him if he remembers our conversation concerning oil filter installation. He looks at me, nods "Yes" and tells me.."Ya know, sometimes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." I asked him why he didnt fully tighten the filter. He says.."I didnt want to fight it if I had to do the next oil change on it. I told him "Dont waste my breath and time asking for help when you really arent interested in following instructions." I told him as Shop Foreman "I wont tell the Service manager what happened..YOU will."
The engine lost oil pressure, ate the timing chain, sprockets, and cam journals in the cylinder head. SOMEBODY paid for a new engine.
All for an oil filter left loose by someone who was worried about having to remove it the next time...
So you know...I probably changed well over 100 oil filters A MONTH at my last shop(35 years) before I retired. I never had one come loose either.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Then you'd lose that bet.
This kid came from a couple of other shops, and he came to me and asked me how tight to tighten an oil filter. I explained to him I tighten it as much as I can by hand without a wrench. I also pointed out to him that are tightening instructions printed on the filter. Some say 2/3 turn after gasket contact, some are 3/4 turn etc.
3 week into the job he calls me over to his stall to listen to an engine THRASH. I asked him what were the circumstances of this noise(2010 Nissan Sentra, 7K miles, a loaner car for our Mazda customers). He lowers his head, tells me the oil filter came loose. I asked him who changed the oil last, he tells me he did. I asked him if he remembers our conversation concerning oil filter installation. He looks at me, nods "Yes" and tells me.."Ya know, sometimes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." I asked him why he didnt fully tighten the filter. He says.."I didnt want to fight it if I had to do the next oil change on it. I told him "Dont waste my breath and time asking for help when you really arent interested in following instructions." I told him as Shop Foreman "I wont tell the Service manager what happened..YOU will."
The engine lost oil pressure, ate the timing chain, sprockets, and cam journals in the cylinder head. SOMEBODY paid for a new engine.
All for an oil filter left loose by someone who was worried about having to remove it the next time...
So you know...I probably changed well over 100 oil filters A MONTH at my last shop(35 years) before I retired. I never had one come loose either.
Then I'm not sure what we are discussing here because I agree with you, tighten as per manufactures instructions. I just happen to be able to also remove them without the assistance of a tool. Perhaps I'm incredibly strong and allergic to kryptonite :grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts