StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone EVER, had a rock or other road debris damage the oil filter?

I picking up a new 2012 and the filter looks vulnerable, however, those things are pretty tough. Just want to know if I should take steps to protect it.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Even if there's a better chance of winning the lottery than damaging the oil filter, you must add protection for it ....

·
Registered
133 Posts

I picking up a new 2012 and the filter looks vulnerable, however, those things are pretty tough. Just want to know if I should take steps to protect it.
I'll take a picture of mine this weekend and post. I put the adapter piece on it so I can run the same oil filter as the one on my Honda Valkyrie. I take some electrical tape and wray around both ends and install a stainless steel salt and pepper shaker on it. Looking at it you would think it's a expensive oil filter cover that a vendor would sell. Looks great any helps protect it.
David

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
We must share similar personalities, worrying about something that will never happen. Well, I added a skid plate soon after I bought my bike. It would be my luck that my oil filter would get knocked off if I hadn't added the protection. Now that I have the plate, it will probably never do me any good. But with me, it is all about peace of mind.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take a picture of mine this weekend and post. I put the adapter piece on it so I can run the same oil filter as the one on my Honda Valkyrie. I take some electrical tape and wray around both ends and install a stainless steel salt and pepper shaker on it. Looking at it you would think it's a expensive oil filter cover that a vendor would sell. Looks great any helps protect it.
David
Ah, a fellow KLR rider! :thumbup: No wait.......a true KLR rider wouldn't care how it looked. :green_lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Even if there's a better chance of winning the lottery than damaging the oil filter, you must add protection for it ....
You never know what might happen out on the road. One in a million could be your next ride. A few years ago I was about to start up my Shadow. I checked the spark plug wires and oil cap like always. I saw something that looked like dragonfly wings. It was a small (dead) bird stuck between my right pipe and the frame. His head was facing forward like he was going for a ride. Probably burnt to death along with being stuffed into a little ball. That will probably never happen again but it happened once and when it did I didn't even notice. I jabbed him out with a stick but that won't help a busted filter.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I believe I remember a fellow Stromer getting a stick thru the filter........or something like that. But that is the only instance I can remember hearing about. I would think a Fenda Extenda would help alot while riding on paved roads. Dirt roads/Trails = different story. I placed a plastic dairy-creamer "jug" over the filter and attached it with a strong magnet........may not help at all, but it makes me feel like it does!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would be more concerned about damage to the oil cooler on the 2011 model from road "bullets".:yikes:That is one reason I passed on the 11 model. I would bet the oil filter would take a direct hit better than the cooler.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I would be more concerned about damage to the oil cooler .....from road "bullets".:yikes: I would bet the oil filter would take a direct hit better than the cooler.
I added a "Jay Leno" chin to the SW-Motech crossbar on my 2008.........hopefully to save the cooler should a "drive-by" stray bullet head my way.............. :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I believe that Dan Vessel actually sells a magnetic oil filter cover for this very purpose.

It's not a skidplate, but it must offer more protection than just the filter can.

There are others that have painted soup cans stuck over their oil filters and held on with a magnet.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts

Are you taking steps to protect the oil filter in your car?
Are you also going to add some armor-plating to the radiator?
How about the brake lines? They might be vulnerable too.

Let me guess; you ride with an open-faced helmet and don't bother wearing riding gloves or boots, but probably wear a high-viz jacket.
:new_shitsmiley:

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you taking steps to protect the oil filter in your car?
Are you also going to add some armor-plating to the radiator?
How about the brake lines? They might be vulnerable too.

Let me guess; you ride with an open-faced helmet and don't bother wearing riding gloves or boots, but probably wear a high-viz jacket.
:new_shitsmiley:
I guess there are trolls on every forum. Let ME guess most of your riding experience is limited to the internet.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I guess there are trolls on every forum. Let ME guess most of your riding experience is limited to the internet.

:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:....... Skidplate....

·
Registered
899 Posts
I just had a similar conversation with a friend who has an old GS airhead. He said he is surprised by the number of dings in his aluminum belly pan just from riding on dirt roads over the years (no trail riding). These dings are from stones kicked up from the front tire. I think I'll cover my filter with something.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Is a metal can over the oil filter going to make a difference in an impact with a rock or root? I guess it could protect the filter, but you would not stop it from wrecking the spot where it joins the block. Isn't that why everyone suggests a skidplate??

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Is a metal can over the oil filter going to make a difference in an impact with a rock or root? I guess it could protect the filter, but you would not stop it from wrecking the spot where it joins the block. Isn't that why everyone suggests a skidplate??
I believe so (i.e. you are correct). I ordered a bash plate/skid plate/belly pan......whatever you want to call it........and decided not to install it. It weighed 13 lbs, I don't ride trails, and didn't consider the extra protection a necessity vs the weight penalty. I hope I'm not proven wrong sometime in the future!! (BTW....the plate I ordered was steel, not aluminum....I could have done better with a different material, I know.......and my bike has already-heavy ammo cans mounted. Didn't want to add extra weight if I could help it)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went with the Hyde Racing polymer bash plate. Easy install, black so it is hardly noticed, and protects the filter and oil cooler from objects thrown from the wheel. Great for $100 bucks!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts