StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an end cap oil filter tool that fits?

Manual states it is 65 mm with 14 flutes, however all the end cap tools
I have checked do not fit.

Pennzoil makes one, size 00, which lists on the package all the filters it fits. Cross referenced to a Suzuki V-Strom filter -ok-NOT! :evil:
It is just a little too small, as are others by different mfgs.

My concern is installation as called for in the manual: two turns after mating surfaces meet.

NO, I don't want to use:vise grips, channel locks, a band removal tool,
or anything Uncle Ned whipped up in the garage. This thing exsists and I am going to have one or maybe this is THE MATRIX playing a cruel joke on us all.

PS: I called the dealer, who shall remain nameless, and asked if they carried "the tool," told yes they had it and had driven to the dealer to purchase only to find it was not in stock.
I love dealer parts guys!!! That will be another topic later.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got mine at Cycle Gear. I had one from WalMart, but it was a little bit too small. Failed to find anything at autoparts places. Take a filter with you while shopping to be sure you get the one that fits!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got mine at a Napa dealer. Don't know the brand but I do remember it was size 1 ( SAE, not). I looked at it and it did say 65-68 mm and of course, it was made in China, probably right across the street from where the bikes are made. It works like a champ.

Hope this helps.

John

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil filter tool

Ok,

I believe the choice is the dealer tool.

Online, here I come.

Thanks to all who responded.

"that which is behind me does not matter"
Ferrucio Lamborgini in reply to the poor rearward visibility of his cars.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah.. it's a pain
I find if I do not do the full 2 turns I get oil seapage under the filter.
I can not get 2 full turns with bare hands

so I switched to K& N Filters
(K&N # 138)

they have a nut welded to them

use a 17MM Wrench

Wrench on ---- Wrench Off

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can not get 2 full turns with bare hands

I got a turn and 1/2 with bare hand.

Do I hear a turn and 3/4 with bare hands?
Going once, going twice.....

I too will be going with the K&N as I have a plethera of 17mm sockets and wrenches.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Suzuki cap wrench. The first strap wrench I used broke.
The second time I tried using one it crushed the filter.
For under $10 it's not worth the hassle, get the Suzuki one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I found two cheap filter tools that work so far, the first was at Advance Auto Parts (but not the same as the earlier post, they did not have the same brand) for $6 and the other from Wal Mart for $2.69 - I had my bike with me so I checked both fits. Both were 65mm with 14 flutes as stated, and I use an Amsoil Filter. Both fit very well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a cap end wrench that works on some filters but not on all I got it for the GSX-R (same filter as the strom), I use a strap wrench most of the time on the strom just easier than having the cap end style pop off halfway through tightening down.

Crushing the filter can be an issue using these due to the excessive pressure needed to apply to it to get 2 full turns because of slick surfaces on both the filter and the wrench.

But a little ingenuity makes it a piece of cake, just cut a slice out of an old inner tube, 3"-3.5" works best. Slip it over the filter and then place the strap wrench over the tube & twist it off and on with ease.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently bought an oil filter wrench at the dealer where I bought the DL650. With filter in hand, we went through 4 filter wrenches of the "right size" before we found one that actually fit tight. I don't think the quality control on the cheaper ones are as good as they could be.

·
Registered
229 Posts
BradM said:
But a little ingenuity makes it a piece of cake, just cut a slice out of an old inner tube, 3"-3.5" works best. Slip it over the filter and then place the strap wrench over the tube & twist it off and on with ease.

Snap! :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Suzuki filter tool, here. Wipe a thin film of oil on it and to keep the filter from sticking in the tool.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I found two cheap filter tools that work so far, the first was at Advance Auto Parts (but not the same as the earlier post, they did not have the same brand) for $6 and the other from Wal Mart for $2.69 - I had my bike with me so I checked both fits. Both were 65mm with 14 flutes as stated, and I use an Amsoil Filter. Both fit very well.
I just bought an oil filter wrench from napa yesterday that is 65mm/14 flutes, and it doesn't fit my filter...I've been searching online trying to find the exact size of the wrench needed, and the number that keeps coming up is 65mm, and it's close, but no cigar. Anyone know what size I should be getting?
Tnx.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Suzuki filter tool, here. Wipe a thin film of oil on it and to keep the filter from sticking in the tool.
What Woofy said!!! I had a hard time getting the filter unwedged out of the tool the first time I used it. The oil trick works well.

I bought the Suzuki tool from the dealer for $10 (Canadian), so it's got to be cheap in the US.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Good tip, will have to remember it when the snow melts. Mine always sticks too and I had to gently tap it to get it loose.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts