StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, I decided to hit up some of the off-road trails in the woods on my DL1K.
I was riding hard, fast, and having so much fun.
Definately a great bike, even if it is a bit heavy for some of the stuff I was doing.
Ground clearence isn't the best, though, and a few times I had a rock scrape the belly of the beast, miles from anywhere. Still, no hard done, not even cracked plastic on the bottom.

Or so I thought.
...until I gave it an oil change.

Needless to say, I'll be breaking out the welder to fabricate a bash plate soon.

I'm really impressed, though. Not a drop of leaked oil, nothing loose. That oil filter mount is really strong, even if it is in a horrible place.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Yah you got lucky there that the filter didn't puncture!! Time for a skid plate! :cool:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah, the OEM oil filters are a lot more robust than aftermarket. Even so, after a similar experience to yours, I bought a bash plate. Glad you weren't stranded - that's an adventure most of us can do without!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yikes! Glad you didn't get stranded. I'm looking at bash plate options myself and I figure I'll end up making my own, too.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Wow, those filters are tougher than I thought.
I guess the filter mount has got to be pretty stout.

Did you buy a Lotto ticket when you got back to civilisation.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Maybe

Maybe that's why the OEM filter has an o-ring gasket, and requires 2 turns past contact (usually not attainable without the assistance of either King Kong or a filter wrench). Maybe Suzuki figured it was gonna get bashed, and decided a whole bunch of gasket compression would head off leaks in all but the worst impacts, as well as heavily preload the mounting to prevent damage to that. Seems the trick to bash protection is not a heavy plate (exclusively), but strong mounting points.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Maybe that's why the OEM filter has an o-ring gasket, and requires 2 turns past contact (usually not attainable without the assistance of either King Kong or a filter wrench). Maybe Suzuki figured it was gonna get bashed, and decided a whole bunch of gasket compression would head off leaks in all but the worst impacts, as well as heavily preload the mounting to prevent damage to that. Seems the trick to bash protection is not a heavy plate (exclusively), but strong mounting points.
Good observation, I'll remember that as I try not to splotcher when I replace the filter.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
On my next oil filter change I'm saving the old filter, clean it out and cut out the exterior shell.

I'm thinking that if I slide the old shell over the the new one it might act as a way to strengthen the filter housing. Might have to make slit in it though so it can go over the new one.

Ron W.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting idea there. I might look into that, as the Fram I've got doesn't look as durable as the Suzuki OEM did.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just having fun Skip...no offence intended.:var_39:
Good thing you didn't rip the tin on that filter!
No worries, mate I just get a little defensive sometimes when people tell me what I do isn't possible.;)

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I am a new owner of a used '06 DL650, and changed the oil just once, before putting it away for the winter in mid-November. I tightened the aftermarket filter as I normally do - oil the gasket, hand-tighten, idle the engine for a couple minutes, shut-off, check for leaks, and replace the bash-plate.

Is it only OEM filters that require extra tightening, or does this apply to all filters? I assumed it is only the OEM that requires extra tightening.

I am careful about keeping an eye out for leaks and monitoring the oil level.

Does anyone actually buy the "Special Tool" the manual indicates is req'd for changing the filter?

·
Registered
98 Posts
As far as I know it's just the factory filter that requires the 2 turns.

I did not buy the special tool. Just went to the local motorcycle shop and got one that fits the filter. It's a 68mm filter cup wrench, fits over the end of the filter and has a 3/8" hole in the end for a ratchet or torque wrench.

Cost was $9.99 us

Looks like this.....
http://www.stridetool.com/tools/autospecialty/oilwrenches_02.html

Mine is metal, not plastic.

Jon...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a special tool?

Huh...I'm turning into one of those guys I hate...those guys that have both the owner's and Shop manual, and don't bother to read either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 28 Posts