StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2016 DL650A
115 Posts
There was another thread recently of a Purolator filter not screwing on like it should. He got a replacement and it was fine. Makes one wonder if there's not a problem in the supply chain, or something.

·
Registered
2005 DL1000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Part number on wix filter matched box? I use both fram and wix on my bikes, no reason one would fit and other wouldn't
Wix 51064 picked up at O'Reilly's. And you're right, there's no reason one would fit and the other wouldn't. I almost feel a little stupid like maybe it was something I did. I'm no mechanic, but I do what I can, and I've been changing my own bike oil since 1970, Lord knows how many times. The only thing I can think of, is O'Reilly's was off the shelf and I had to go to the counter and they pulled one from the back, so possibly it was a return without a box and got put in a 51064 box?......Honestly your guess is as good as mine. If it was truly a 1.5 it should have fit right?

·
Registered
2005 DL1000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thinking about it, what almost bothers me most with this fiasco, is in this day and age the complete lack of information on the internet for Carlube oil filters. There is literally nothing except a couple of EBay sales and a few google images. It's like they appeared out of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Wow, what a journey! Glad there was a mostly happy ending, anyway, and now you at least know what fits.

Honestly, it's likely not worth the effort to change back to stock; just make sure it's documented and communicated if you sell the bike.

And it does seem rather silly that someone would go to the effort of changing the adaptor, yet screw on a crappy no-name fly-by-night off-brand filter. Maybe he bought a whole crate of them cheap on fleaBay or CrackList or something.

Truly, the mind of the PO (Previous Owner) is a mysterious land.

Reactions: Mykllee

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Well, at least if it is a Toyota Corolla filter it should be in stock in the smallest shop in the smallest town in the smallest country in the world.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Yep, that filter cross references to a more commonly available 20mm x 1.5mm thread type. It's pretty common on some old bikes to have it because of the limited filter options back in the day... I bet it's this one:

I would leave it on! So many filter options now! I tried to buy one years ago but they never responded.

With that adapter you could use the Fram Ultra XG7317 (assuming you have the space for the extra ~inch) and you could extend filter intervals considerably.

I would be comfortable running 10k KMs oil changes and 20k KMs filter changes with that filter. I've run that XG7317 for 15-20K KMs on our previous Honda's.

·
Registered
2005 DL1000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wow, what a journey! Glad there was a mostly happy ending, anyway, and now you at least know what fits.

Honestly, it's likely not worth the effort to change back to stock; just make sure it's documented and communicated if you sell the bike.

And it does seem rather silly that someone would go to the effort of changing the adaptor, yet screw on a crappy no-name fly-by-night off-brand filter. Maybe he bought a whole crate of them cheap on fleaBay or CrackList or something.

Lol, yeah, the PO put in a switch to turn the fan on at stoplights to prevent the temperature from showing 3 bars he said. But the strangest is he put in two tubes the size of straws with lights at the tips wired into the turn signals sticking up so he didn’t have to look all the way down to see if he turned off the turn signals. I will remove them eventually.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does the nipple have an internal hex, so it could be installed/removed with an Allen key? If it does, heat the nipple to loosen the Loctite and you could go back to OEM.

·
Registered
2005 DL1000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Does the nipple have an internal hex, so it could be installed/removed with an Allen key? If it does, heat the nipple to loosen the Loctite and you could go back to OEM.
Gosh, didn’t even think about that. I’ll be doing the next oil change sooner rather than later (not a fan of Fram) and will take a look.

·
Registered
124 Posts
FWIW for others with mystery oil filter adapters on their DL650s, some years back I bought an adapter kit for my '05 DL650 that allowed to use the same quality (Mobil 1, Wix, PL14610 Purolator One) oil filter that my 2010 Honda Fit uses.
This is why every bike should have an old-school maintenance log that is kept under the seat in a ziplock bag. These kinds of mods should be noted in it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After reading this thread and all of the links, I may actually put one of the adapters in at my next oil change. The other two bikes in the garage take the 20x1.5, and I keep those in stock. It would simplify things. But, if I do, I will make note of it and make certain to tell the next owner (if there is one).

·
Registered
2005 DL1000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
look at your photo....clearly there is no internal hex visible. A very good photo btw.
Yeah I had noticed nothing is visible, but maybe it’s deeper? Unless it was just screwed in finger tight with red loctite. Who knows.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Red loctite isn't all that hard to break loose without heat if you've got a good mechanical connection between the tool and the object being loosened. Heat does make it easier though.
Jathkajoe

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

If you want to remove the oil fitting:
  • buy 2 'nuts' that fit the fitting
  • screw them on
  • lock them together using 2 open end wrenches
  • remove the fitting by turning the upper nut
If Loctite is involved, you may need to heat the fitting.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts