StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first oil change on my fairly new to me 2005 DL1000, and what do you know, my Suzuki OEM oil filter won't go on more than about 3 turns. So I did a search here and it seems maybe someone put on a adaptor, I really don't know by looking. The Carlube filter cross references to a Napa 1064, which seems to be for trucks. I'm assuming a filter is a filter and that would be ok? Can't fine much info on Carlube filters, I'm guessing they are cheap. The Napa 1064 will cost me more than the OEM Suzuki filter, which is now useless.
Anyway, if anyone can tell if I have some kind of adaptor, please let me know!
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
That filter cross refs to 2 different Suzuki filters. Seems to be a stock type filter based on the wix crossref

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That filter cross refs to 2 different Suzuki filters. Seems to be a stock type filter based on the wix crossref

Thanks, I guess that cross reference pretty much confirms the threading must be different than the Suzuki 16510-07J00.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just checked my filter stock in the garage. I use a Wix 51359, which is the same as the NAPA 1359 that Charlie1982 posted above. Here is the cross reference chart for my filter. It lists multiple Suzuki filters. Check if the one the dealer gave you is one of those. Wouldn't be the first time a parts person gave out the wrong filter. Oil filter cross reference

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked my filter stock in the garage. I use a Wix 51359, which is the same as the NAPA 1359 that Charlie1982 posted above. Here is the cross reference chart for my filter. It lists multiple Suzuki filters. Check if the one the dealer gave you is one of those. Wouldn't be the first time a parts person gave out the wrong filter. Oil filter cross reference
Yeah, thanks, they gave me the right filter......just wish it fit!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That M4612 pictured above cross references to the NAPA 1359 (made by Wix as 51359).

I personally use the Wix 51359.

Good Luck!!!

Reactions: oldjeep

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Yeah, thanks, they gave me the right filter......just wish it fit!
Try getting a wix at the local auto parts store. Either your filter is buggered up or the threads on your bike are. No way someone would bother adapting a bike that already used a common filter.

·
Registered
467 Posts
it seems maybe someone put on a adaptor, I really don't know View attachment 281386
Mykllee, here is one site that sells adapters -- just so you can see what one looks like.
Notice the collar where you would apply a wrench to install. Your photo does not show any such collar on yours. Perhaps you do not have an adapter installed. Just FYI.

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That M4612 pictured above cross references to the NAPA 1359 (made by Wix as 51359).

I personally use the Wix 51359.

Good Luck!!!
Is a Mighty M4612 the same as a Carlube M4612 is what I'm wondering. The only info I could find was images like this one from someone selling it on offerup, and the label references completely different Napa and Wix.

Attachments

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mykllee, here is one site that sells adapters -- just so you can see what one looks like.
Notice the collar where you would apply a wrench to install. Your photo does not show any such collar on yours. Perhaps you do not have an adapter installed. Just FYI.
Thanks for that.....maybe the threads are just messed up as oldjeep mentioned.

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so the Wix 51359 won't thread on either, so some kind of modification must have been done. I will get one of the Wix 51064 and see what happens.......

·
Registered
88 Posts
I will say this about my 2002. When I install an oil filter, it sometimes locks up after a couple threads. I spin it CCW while holding slight pressure on it, and it seems to find a new place to start. Maybe the threads are a little tapered toward the tip and the filter "bites" wrong sometimes. Whichever filter ends up being the one that works on your bike, don't force it. I know I don't have to tell you that, though. Sounds like you know what's what, or you would have forced it right from the start and we'd be having a different conversation. Good luck. Used bikes can have some interesting features to them, that's for sure.

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, now I'm stuck. The third filter, Wix 51064 doesn't even begin to screw on. I've tried two filters that should fit and don't. I just love it when a 10 minute job turns into a completely different animal. I guess my next step is to research what car filters work on a Bales adaptor, even though I don't seem to have one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The one I use, the 51359 WIX, has a 20 x 1 mm thread pitch, which is what Suzuki put there (lots of complaints about having to use their filters in the early days). I used the filter you took off as a cross reference, and the filters that supposedly work in it's place from WIX are the 51365 and the 57040. Both of those are listed by WIX as having a 20 x 1.5 mm thread. How did the Carlube one fit? If you still have it, thread it back on and see if it's really wobbly or if it fits well. If it fits well, try the 51365. It's closest in size and the bypass rating is the same as the 51359. Sounds like you may have one of those custom mods that never should have been.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just looked at the 51064 that you bought that you said didn't even begin to thread on, but it has the 20 x 1.5 pitch that the one you took off supposedly has. What a $hit show this oil change turned out to be... Might be time to start from scratch and buy either a new threaded adapter from Suzuki or one of the conversion ones. At least the threads will be un-screwed-with by prior owners.

·
Read Only
2005 DL1000
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The one I use, the 51359 WIX, has a 20 x 1 mm thread pitch, which is what Suzuki put there (lots of complaints about having to use their filters in the early days). I used the filter you took off as a cross reference, and the filters that supposedly work in it's place from WIX are the 51365 and the 57040. Both of those are listed by WIX as having a 20 x 1.5 mm thread. How did the Carlube one fit? If you still have it, thread it back on and see if it's really wobbly or if it fits well. If it fits well, try the 51365. It's closest in size and the bypass rating is the same as the 51359. Sounds like you may have one of those custom mods that never should have been.
The carlube fits like a dream. I think you might be right about a custom mod. Looking at the thread it seems to be dried up red loctite on the bottom. You can see it in the picture. I will try your suggestion tomorrow, thanks!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts