StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so trying to change my oil this morning, can't get the oil filter off. Maybe I put it on too tight last time, not sure. Usually comes off just fine with the cap-type wrench. Tried using plier-style wrench too, just makes lots of dents and scratches and can't get enough of a squeeze on it. My tools around the house are a little limited. Any tips on trying to get this badboy off? :headbang:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can drive a screwdriver through the body. It's messy and you are really committed once you try it though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Next time be sure to oil the rubber gasket on the filter and amen to the scredriver through the filter. It is messey but it works!

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you have to you can get a crush-type filter remover, like big plyers, it crushes the filter to give you some engagement points on the filter so you can put a lot more torque into turning it off.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ditto on the screwdriver. A 16"+ pipe wrench will also do the job.
+1 on pipe wrench...

My OEM (original) filter that the bike came with was put on by the incredible Hulk. I actually broke a (plastic???) oil filter attachment/wrench that I bought at Autozone and did not want to use the screwdriver trick because of the mess. But pipe wrench did it. Did deform the filter but no leaks.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Get a belt strap wrench. Then go buy a K&N Filter with a wrench type top. In over 35 years of working on bikes and cars I have never had a leak or a stuck filter by tightening by hand as firm as possible and then a 1/4 twist with a wrench. +1 on oil on the O ring.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you have to you can get a crush-type filter remover, like big plyers, it crushes the filter to give you some engagement points on the filter so you can put a lot more torque into turning it off.
Get thee to a Harbor Freight Hardware store. You can get the above mentioned tool for a few paltry dollars and it works so well.

Chinese political prisoner labor is dirt cheap...apparently...

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Try a strap wrench next..then a pipe wrench...then big channel locks to crush it a bit...save the screwdriver as last resort. Makes a real mess and likely one of the other methods will do it. Another good argument for making sure you lube the O ring before installing a new one.:yesnod:

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Never

Never had a filter that wouldn't come off with one of the steel strap style wrenches. Worst-case scenario, wrap a little sandpaper (rough side in) on the filter before applying wrench. Wrenches run about 5 bucks at auto stores. Just be sure to get the right size (take the new filter along).

·
Registered
569 Posts
If the cap filter still will grab, get a strap type and use it at the same time as the cap wrench. Sometimes I have put rubber strips under the strap wrench to get some extra traction. All the methods that have been mentioned here are good alternatives

·
Registered
16 Posts
The first time I changed the filter after getting my Wee, my strap wrench wouldn't budge it. I'd removed many oil filters with it before. Channel locks and patience eventually got it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, more replies than I expected!

I definitely lubed the O-ring with oil and torqued it to spec, guess these things just happen sometimes.

Looks like screwdriver should work as a last resort. Never even thought of that... Thanks for the help fellas. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Get a belt strap wrench. Then go buy a K&N Filter with a wrench type top. In over 35 years of working on bikes and cars I have never had a leak or a stuck filter by tightening by hand as firm as possible and then a 1/4 twist with a wrench. +1 on oil on the O ring.
Too bad the Suzuki filter is a whole different beast. The spec is reitten right on the filter, if my memory serves, and it's something like two turns past seal contact. The thick rubber o-ring Suzuki puts on the OEM filters requires that amount of twist because it needs to crust the gasket to form the seal, as well as provide the proper amount of tension on the threads to prevent it from loosening.

Just sayin'...

+1. Everyone should have one in their kit, even if you don't normally use it. It will always work.
Usually. I've seen a strap wrench crush a filter several times (poor placement of the wrench in a tight spot with a tight filter). I have even had them stuck so bad that a strap wrench crushed it, and a screwdriver not only made a mess, but twisted the top half of the filter right off. THAT was not a fun one to remove...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have even had them stuck so bad that a strap wrench crushed it, and a screwdriver not only made a mess, but twisted the top half of the filter right off. THAT was not a fun one to remove...
:jawdrop:

R

·
0 Posts
My OEM was like bigboys. The friggin hulk put that thing on (I thought all Japanese guys were lil fellers) but just a few seconds with my 14" channel locks and viola she was right off. Now I hand tighten as tight as I can get it without seriously straining and have had no more problems. Have you gotten it off yet?

RR

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
sand/emery paper

My Yamaha 4-stroke outboard takes the same size cap wrench as the Wee. Although never had a problem with the Wee filter, the folks at Yamaha must have had a contest to see if they could locate the filter in the spot that would cause the most problems with wrench access and break knuckles. I swear that filter tightens itself when I'm not looking.

I carry a couple of 1" wide emery strips in my toolkit (boat and bike)- basically for light touchup on plugs etc but on the boat, I put one strip in the cap socket (covers about 1/2 the circumference of the cap), and the additional bite takes up the sloppiness in the molded cap socket and the filter usually spins right off easily without jamming.

Safe rides
Bob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts